Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.

Scheduler Changes

Scheduler Changes

While I appreciate that DP is finally getting a much needed overhaul the scheduler is a huge disappointment.

Here are some of my gripes:

- The font is super huge so only a few jobs are shown at a time. Layouts should be optimized for 1080p screens or allow the users to customize it to their needs.

- When changing a job and going back, it does not always go back to where you were before. Perhaps spawning the edit tasks in a new tab in the background would solve this issue.

- When searching for a job to edit the schedule, the search doesn't show which date the job is set to execute on so you sometimes have to search multiple times to find the right one.

- Not having the calendar for each individual job is a real deal breaker. We have multiple jobs that have 3 copies that run at different times, destinations, retention, etc. and ensuring they aren't overlapping is very cumbersome. 

- Scheduler also is very slow as it has to 'reload' the page every time.

- I'm also pretty sure there's a bug in 10.04 when deleting instance of a scheduled job will immediately execute the job no matter the time of day.

We only have about 50-60 jobs running per day, I can't imagine a user with 200+ jobs being able to easily use this feature at all.

Thanks

7 Comments
Darren_Oneill Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
I concur with everything Brendan says. This new and improved scheduler is actually upsetting my happiness having to manage 300 backup jobs daily - routinely having to adjust 20 plus sql /oracle daily to accommodate our dba's migrations /cloning with planned and unplanned archivelog /trans jobs etc. The original scheduler actually worked quite well and was very easy /fast and efficient to utilize. Now its a nightmare with absolutely no flow to it. Sorry MicroFocus, you got this new schedule all wrong and i do not believe for one minute that any real world DP administrators would disagree that the scheduler is one step forward and 3 steps back. Darren
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Hello,

Sorry to hear that your experience with the scheduler wasnt good. We have made some improvements in the upcoming release of Data Protector and hoping that release will fix certain bugs that you have encountered. I will add the enhancements to the DP backlog for priorization and will revert once we have accepted the idea.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Sheetal Kochavara

RanBax Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

I agree with all points raised,  the scheduler needs work.  When managing a lot of schedules, this implementation is a nightmare.  It is painful having to switch between two different interfaces, job creation / mangement and schedule creation / management.  It was much easier when the schedule was a tab on the job definition (fast/easy) vs the advanced scheduler (slow/confusing).

To Brendan's list of grips, I would add that the schedule summary does not show the scheduled time; it shows everything else, why was the start time omitted. 

jgmoguel Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

over +70 jobs per day is a nightmare

Frequent Contributor.

Return the old scheduler
Frequent Contributor.

Return the old scheduler

Markus Pernek Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Good morning,

we have about 1200 Job per Day running in our cell so the new scheduler is a hard challange most of all when you need to know wich backujp specification runs next.

that was better and clearer with the old scheduler or rather in the "backup" overview where you had besides the Spec-Name, Group, Applicaiton even the Scheduler information what is comming up next.

Regards

Markus

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.