Virtual Machine: Restore VMDK to VHDX (and vice-versa)

Idea ID 1640294

Virtual Machine: Restore VMDK to VHDX (and vice-versa)

Restore the VMWare VM to Hyper-V environment (and vice-versa). It involves conversion between different virtual disk formats during the restore.

5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi there,
for VM migration you may want to look at PlateSpin from the Micro Focus portfolio. Main purpose of restore is to get your data back in the
form it was existing while backup. How many of those migrations are you doing per day/week/month? How many customers are asking
for this feature and what is their size?

Kind regards,
UliW@IM

Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

I am not talking here about the migration between the different virtual infrasturucture. As DP backs up the image to tape, the VMDK image should be restored as VHDX in the HyperV environment. Assume I have the VM template backed up from VMWare environment now i shoule be able to restore as VHDX in hyperV environment. This way I dont need to have the templates created in both of the virtual infrastructure.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi sbt2632,

There are a few challenges here. First the image format received by the Backup Media Agent (BMA) and stored on the media is somewhat different. Besides of that the VM configuration files are also different between VMware and HyperV. The backup ISV usually has to accept the data in an application-specific format and translation is complicated. Working with all kind of different customers I have never seen this requirement so far. Can you share some insights on your environment?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Declined

@sbt2632 

based on the number of votes we see this request is not supported by enough interest and is not considered for integration. It is therefore declined.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.