Warning about the need to stop StoreOnce Software stores.

Idea ID 2755831

Warning about the need to stop StoreOnce Software stores.

Brief Description

I'm suggesting to introduce some kind of warning about the need to stop all stores before stopping the StoreOnceSoftware daemon (Linux) or service (Windows) on a StoreOnce Software server.

Benefits / Value

It is still happening too often that stores are getting corrupted because they are not stopped manually before stopping the daemon/service or before a reboot of the system. That should not be a surprise as this required action is also not documented as far as I'm aware. But let's face it: documenting this only won't be enough. This is critical and we need to make sure everyone is aware of it! People are thinking they can just reboot the server and are facing data loss after it too often!

Design details

There may exist multiple creative solutions / areas to display a warning like this. My suggestion would be the following:

1. In the GUI, create a popup warning which is shown each time a StoreOnce Software device is created and each time the properties of such a device are opened. Optionally, there could be a check box to disable this in the future and/or an environment parameter to disable it. I would not worry about the fact this may be annoying at the start ..... loosing data is much more annoying! And it is happening regularly!

2. In the CLI, display a warning each time the StoreOnceSoftware utility is run.

A suggestion for the warning text:

"Warning: Please be aware it is required to stop all stores on the StoreOnce Software server each time before stopping the daemon/service or before a reboot. Failing to do this may result in data loss! Please use the StoreOnceSoftware utility to stop the stores. Consult the documentation for more details."

Obviously, we would need to make sure this is extensively explained in the documentation.

5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Luc Minnaert Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hello,

Please document this asap in a knowledge doc and get it out please !!

and yes , gracefully pointing to the required actions from with the software would be more than nice

Luc

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

@Koen Verbelen 

Please address this via the DocOps feedback button to have the product documentation changed accordingly.

At a later point in time we might change the code of the software store CLI.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks @UliW_MF. I will submit a suggestion for the doc change. I would insist to have both GUI and CLI modified with some kind of warning also.

Thanks,

Koen

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@UliW_MF ,.

I sent the DocOps change request for the "Storeonce software deduplication" page, URL : https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.12/StoreonceDeduplicationComponent

Koen

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.