Wildcards for excludes

Wildcards for excludes

In an enterprise environment you try to keep your systems as simmilar as possible and automate as much as possible. So it would be greate to exclude certain file systems, directories using regular expressions or something simmilar.

Example: You want to exclude all the oracle data-file directories in your environemt:
The path allways looks something like this /oracle/<SID>/data

Right now you have to create an exact exclude in every single specification.

I think most of you would agree that it would be a lot easier if you could put something like /oracle/*/data in all of you specifications.

Best Regards

Jesko Dirting

Tags (3)
8 Comments
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Waiting for Votes

Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I agree, having the ability to utilise wildcards in the directory path will also simplify breaking down large FS objects into smaller objects without needing to constantly update them as the data changes - e.g. for User profile or home directories,

I would REALLY like the ability to split into multiple objects by the first letter of the directory name

Object Description: UserProfileA-C

F:\Profiles\a*
F:\Profiles\b*
F:\Profiles\c*

Object Description: UserProfileD-F

F:\Profiles\d*
F:\Profiles\e*
F:\Profiles\f*

... etc

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Jesko.

I was able to use an asterisk to handle the general exclusion rule you want. Does that not work for you? Please try /oracle/*/data as an exclude rule to see if that solves your problem.

Regards,

Shishir

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi Jesko,

Does this satisfy the requirement ? 

Thanks.

Respected Contributor.. Jesko Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

hi Shishir & skochavara,

I tried again , after manually excluding all dirs in the backups that ran before:

I used this:

-exclude
                "/sybase/*/sybtemp"

But  got the following messages in the Sessionlog:

[Warning] From: BSM@xxx "yyy" Time: 10.10.2018 18:35:49
[61:11018] 	Could not find related full backup of the object
	xxx:/sybase/Z99/sybtemp named "xxx [/sybase/Z99/sybtemp]".
	Backup mode is changed to full.

So this time the Filesystem was backed up.

This is with DP 9.09

Regards

Jesko

Respected Contributor.. Jesko Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Hi 

@Shishir Misra

do you have the example

Regards Jesko

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Jesko.

Sorry about the delayed response. Did you figure this out already? I'm not sure why you're facing that error, unless you're selecting /sybase/Z99/sybtemp and then trying to exclude that using /sybase/*/sybtemp, which would be odd. 🙂 

This is what I did - select /temp for backup, and exclude /temp/oracle/*/data. I was then able to run full and incremental backups, without any problems. I used the restore view to verify that the children of the excluded directories were not backed up.

excludes.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shishir

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
Status changed to: Already Offered

Jesko,

Best to open a support ticket to get this resolved. As Shishir commented, this functionality is already available.

-Sheetal

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.