changes to the GUI interface

Idea ID 2821065

changes to the GUI interface

When can there be changes to the GUI interface?

The GUI interface could be changed to a tabbed mode, similar to Word's functional interface, instead of the current drop-down interface.

11 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@qian 
This would be a major design change. Would need a huge number of votes to justify. 
Why do you think this is a better approach and how much improvement are you expecting from this?

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Too many many customers give us feedback that the interface is really ugly, like Windows 98.and Our competitors are already using B/S architecture. not C/S.
Sometimes the demo  to the customer and once the customer sees the interface, they are not interested.
So we really hope that the interface can be changed to an options approach instead of the traditional drop-down menu.

change GUIchange GUI

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

The GUI of DP has not changed for more than ten years, and has been seriously divorced from the needs of customers. If it can not be changed to web mode in a short time,  some modern transformation can be done.

Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

I agree👍

Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Good  idea  !

New Member.

The current DP GUI is indeed not suitable for the current customer aesthetic standards. Our DP software has many functions, but the GUI cannot be displayed well. If it can be optimized better, I think it will be more attractive.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi all,

we know about the interface of course. However we have many customers still looking it because they didn't need a training every time the GUI changed. Some competitors have made that mistake and went back. 

Parts of the GUI (the part that you need every day!) has already changed to HTML. All of DP can be controlled by the REST API.

The other item we need to look at is: What is more important? Support for Office365 and Cloud or a new GUI?

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi all,

also wondering if we are talking about current DP 10 (DP 10.80) or DP 9 or older here. Have you tried the DP 10 HTML GUI? Yu still think this is old-fashioned?

Let me know!

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Uli

Yes, I agree with you that we are more important things to do. but If there is a little change to the GUI in the future, it would be a major breakthrough in the market.

The training problems caused by the changes are short-pain. If the GUI is not being updated, but the pain is permanent. Almost every customer is complaining about this GUI interface. Better a little loss than a long sorrow.

GUI-Schedule and HTML-schedule, which is better? 10.80's HOME page and HTML-Schedule is a real breakthrough. but Few Customer use HTML-schedule when setting up a schedule. because this HTML-schedule configuration adds time and complexity to the backup policy ,and it requires switching back and forth between the Home page and the Backup interface.

Rest-API is a good feature, but Customer won't pay for it. The customer thinks the product interface should be provided by the manufacturer. My personal opinion is that the API interface should be integrated with other business systems, such as monitoring platforms. the API interface is not for users to develop their own backup interfaces.

Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

@UliW_MF 

"Parts of the GUI (the part that you need every day!) has already changed to HTML"\

Monitor, IDB, Backup Specifications - these are really parts you need every day. Thay never changed cince HPUX GUI moved to WIN. 

The Home part is never needed by anybody I know (I'm administering more than 5 cells with thousands of clients).

"All of DP can be controlled by the REST API."

That's a lie. A lot of usual tasks cannot be done with a rest API. For example integration configuration or backup specification creation.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.