sunken quality of Data Protector GUI offline help pages

Idea ID 2841435

sunken quality of Data Protector GUI offline help pages

Hello, 

I'm using DP in an 20.000+ governemt body since more than 15 years. therefore I'm able to compare with older versions. Current version is 10.50 (2019.08)

When I ADD a schedule in the GUI@Windows, I get a popup window, When I click "Help" in that window the following offline-help-html-page opens: file:///C:/Program%20Files/OmniBack/help/enu/dpHelp_CSH.htm

depending on the backup type with the following page-internal links (selection only):

• #HELP_BAC_SCHEDULE_IDB for IDB Backups
    • #HELP_BAC_SCHEDOPTIONS for File System Backups
    • #HELP_BAC_SCHEDOPTIONS for PostgreSQL Backup
    • #HELP_BAC_SCHEDULE_EXCH2010 for Exchange Backups
    • #HELP_BAC_Schedule_Options_MS_SQL7 for MS SQL Backups
    • #HELP_BAC_Schedule_Options_Oracle8 for Oracle Backups
    • #HELP_BAC_Schedule_Options_VEPA for VE Backups

Except for IDB that leads all to the same file C:\Program Files\OmniBack\help\enu\itom\Data_Protector_2019.08\FSScheduleBackup.html 

But I wonder that the different backup types except IDB use the same help page FSScheduleBackup.html as link target. The support wrote me:

This is because all the backup types (including IDB backup) have similar options on the "Schedule Backup" page.

That’s not correct. Not even “similar” but “different”. In the session options I can choose among the following different  "backup types" ("backup mode" would be the better lettering):

• For File Systems:             Full, Incr, Incr 1 …Incr 9
  • For PostgeSQL:               Full, Trans
  • For Exchange 2010+:      Full, Copy, Incr, Differential
  • For MS SQL Server:        Full, Trans, Differential, Copy           
  • For Oracle Server:           Full, Incr 1 …Incr 4
  • For Virtual Environment:  Full, Incr                                 

This is an example but the the detortirated quality is generally the case in the offline help.
The only content is "Here you can click this" or " here you can choose that" without further explanations or details.
In previous version - definitely in times when DP was an HP product - every option was explained in detail.
I.g.: what happens to the transaction logs during an exchange backup for every of this backup modes and so on. And i.g. an incremental backup in a file system backup is not the same as in a exchange backup.

And last butnot least: the js-code is veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyy ..... slllllloooooowllllllyyy .....

Conclusion for my Idea: Please bring back the quality of the offline help according detailed explations to the options and according speed!

5 Comments
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@paulsupport 

I'm checking with R&D but it looks like more a change in documentation (which includes Help) rather than a feature enhancement. 

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @paulsupport,

Problem is related to the fact that the F1 help opens externally in your default browser (most likely Internet Explorer). Changing the default browser to Edge or Chrome would make a big difference.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Ensign
Ensign

@UliW_MF 

For me as customer/user it is not recognizable, that doc/help  is not a task of the development division, because the context sensitive offline Help/F1-Help is part of the SW. Sorry!
So, who is responsible for? I think, to make a call/open a case is neither the right way. What is your point of contact for such cases?

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Not realy. These of my entry is related to the quality of the help content not of the presentation.  

But if you already mention the standard browser: Mine is Chrome and still the F1 help is opened in Internet Explorer.
And the display is okay there too.

In the meantime I believed that it had to be like that, because there was always a popup saying "The execution of scripts or ActiveX controls was restricted for this website." and a button "Allow blocked content". But obviously it's not about the proprietary and expiring ActivX but about the Java Scripts. Copy and paste the URL into the Chrome browser confirms this.

So it is also not a problem of presentation in different Web Browsers!

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @paulsupport,

I see what you mean. Even if I change Chrome to be the default browser for *.htm files F1 will open dpHelp_CSH.htm in Internet Explorer. Double clicking the file brings up Chrome.

You're right, this kind of problems are product issues so this is something for software support. They can fix dead links/references and also the fact that Internet Explorer is used instead of the default browser. We all know that the JavaScript engine in IE is slow.

Besides of that I think this kind of feedback (in general) belongs here and people can vote on it. The context sensitive online help was a beauty in 9.x and earlier.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
Status changed to: Under Consideration

@paulsupport 

I have checked with the documentation team and they are looking into broken links and the right pages to call (that's the support-item of it). 
For adding more and detailed information we need to assign more time when available since that is another chunk of work to do (that's the documentation part).

Regards,
Uli

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.