Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

[81:76] On incremental backup changes is annyoing!

Hello,

we have about 300 Servers in our cell  and most of our jobs run incremental backups with one full each week.

If a file was deleted after the last full backup was made we always get:

[81:76] Cannot perform stat(): ([2] No such file or directory) => not backed up.

on the next incremental run. 

This is extremly annoying and a pain for our operators to handle. Our large file Servers have multiple hundreds up to thousands of such messages and relevant errors burried in this wall of error messages can easily be overlooked.

I dont think there is any way to get rid of this (but i hope im wrong) at the moment so we are forced to build our own oracle based data protector error-handling engine which filters such events.

In my opinion we need a special error number for full -> incremental changes like this with warning level Info so it would be easy to filter them completly.

Regards
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @sofromt,

First of all, the issue you are seeing is not related to the incremental backup itself. Most likely you see it because the incremental backup is faster proceeding compared to the full backup. So a file system is backed up while a different process still does active changes to a file system (such as deleting old database dump/folders, etc.).

What Data Protector version are you using on the Cell Manager and clients and what is the operating system/file system that you back up?

If this is Windows 2008 and later you need to make sure to turn on the VSS option in the backup spec. This should be default but maybe someone changed it for no good reason. For UNIX/Linux this needs to be fixed by running the external scripts at the right time (before backup starts). So using a pre-exec script rather than cron helps.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Sebastian,

i know that this error is also related to tmp files or files that are created while the filelist is generated and deleted during the time the backup is still running, but AFAIK this also applies to full -> inc changes (or the infos in some posts here in the forum are wrong or outdated, can you confirm this?)

We run 9.09 on RHEL Cell and backup all kinds of servers. About 200 Linux (mostly XFS). Oracle Databases, Windows 2012/16, MSSQL, Hana, MaxDB, all 9.09 Clients.

VSS is activated on all Win Servers. For the Linux Servers we would have to do extensive excludes, our policy is more or less to backup everything. So a lot of application servers, versioning systems and development environments creating extensive tmp and/or changing files are part of the backups. managing excludes for all servers with different departments using them in rapid development lifecycles is just not managable without the danger of misconfigure something.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @sofromt,

You should definitively see the same kind of errors for full backups. If it is not the higher processing rate the difference might be the different point in time when the full backup is performed. I would suspect that there is less activity on the development/build systems during weekend when the full backup is performed.

Besides of using excludes there is only one option I am aware of. There is an omnirc option (to be placed on the client that is backed up) that changes the Disk Agent behaviour on how the file list per directory is generated at backup time. It was build for AIX clients but should also work on Linux. Maybe you can give it a try.

OB2_VBDA_ACTIVEDIR_BKP=1

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.