Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

9.06 VMWare Granular Backups

Jump to solution

One issue that we face with our VMWare data backups is that we can overwhelm the network of the VM's if pulling large number of files/data via DA on the VM without throttle. I've worked around the issue by using "Medium" network throttling. To this end, I have 2 questions:

1. I thought I had read some time ago, that there would be a facility to specify bandwith maximum directly instead of the more ambiguous "high" "medium" and "low" settings. Is there a way to do this? e.g. set 100Mbps or ... vs. "Medium"? And/or are the levels bandwidth utilization threshold set within the options file?
  2. We have 3par arrays and I've got enough virtualization licenses to sprinkle them around all my esxi hosts. I'd like to be able to have replicated datastores have consistency group snaps taken (if only crash consistent) at our remote site and have those snaps mounted on our media server and pull the files from the datastores that would be mounted read only on the linux media server. The complications I see are that: we don't have any capacity licensing (would I need it?) and also for our heavy-hitter systems, we have to use "independent" virtual disks for VM i/o performance optimization reasons. I'd write my own scripts to do this, but the challenge would be how to mount a vmfs filesystem on rhel6? Does DP have something that applies to my desire of pushing the data via fiber channel from replicated disks vs. getting the data from the source vv's that are live/active in the vmware cluster? and would I need more than the Online Backup LTU's, i.e. would I need ZDB licensing?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: 9.06 VMWare Granular Backups

Jump to solution

Hello,

Regarding question 1.  There is no feature specific to throttling in the context that you reference.  However if you are using StoreOnce technolgy as your media device, such a feature does exist.  Please see the article titled: "Configuring a Backup to Disk Device - StoreOnce" in the onlne help utility.

Regarding question 2.  The question a quite complex.  I would have to study it carefully.  It would be best to open a support case to have your question looked at in detail.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello,

Regarding question 1.  There is no feature specific to throttling in the context that you reference.  However if you are using StoreOnce technolgy as your media device, such a feature does exist.  Please see the article titled: "Configuring a Backup to Disk Device - StoreOnce" in the onlne help utility.

Regarding question 2.  The question a quite complex.  I would have to study it carefully.  It would be best to open a support case to have your question looked at in detail.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

You can ignore my question 2, I will read more first.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.