Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
stonefeather Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

A single full backup takes 10 tapes, what if 1 tape becomes missing later?

Jump to solution

1) Would this situation affect restoring files on other 9 tapes?

2) If I manually exported/recycled 1 tape of this set, would that affect restoring files on other 9 tapes?

3) If I manuualy exported/recycled 1 tape of this set, files on that tape would be picked up again during the next incremental backup?

Thanks for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: A single full backup takes 10 tapes, what if 1 tape becomes missing later?

Jump to solution

Hello @stonefeather,

A single full backup takes 10 tapes, what if 1 tape becomes missing later

If you are concerned of data loss/not being able to restore you should consider using Object Mirror or Object Copy to make sure you store your most valuable backup data on more than a single set of media. I usually recommend placing copies in a different location/offsite.

2) If I manually exported/recycled 1 tape of this set, would that affect restoring files on other 9 tapes?

If you recycle/export one tape objects located on that media will no longer be available in the IDB for restore. The same applies if the media is part of a backup chain (e.g. Full + Incr + Incr). Export/Recycle does not destroy data from the media. You can still import the media back into the IDB before it gets new writes.

In any case Data Protector supports restoring from partital backup chains (in case of File System backups). Lets assume Full + Incr are lost. You can restore files from the last Incr while only backup up files are available/restored.

Consider using this global option, if you need partitial restore.

IgnoreMissingFullWhileRestore=1

3) If I manuualy exported/recycled 1 tape of this set, files on that tape would be picked up again during the next incremental backup?

Data Protector calculates the backup chain based on the information in the IDB. This means if the backup chain is broken (in the middle by an exported tape, because this is something the software understands vs. a broken tape) it should force a full backup. Consider using those global options.

ForceFull=1
IncrOnProtected=1

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @stonefeather , 

We need to understand how DP see the data. The data is separated into objects. All the objects complete the backup. The data is saved sequentially, so one tape after others to read all the data. 

Example, if we have a huge file and use WinRar to separate the file in 20 different and compressed files, to extract the data you need all the files, if not, you will receive an error. 

DP needs all the tapes to perform the restore. If one this is not in the library or IDB, the backup will fail, requesting the tape or saying that medium is not found. 

In the last question, the next incremental just takes the changed information from the last full backup. If the backup is not in the correct state, the incremental will change to full. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you for explaining it for me. 

Furthermore,  lets say the situation is like this:

1) Day1: Full backup (tape1, tape2, tape3)

2) Day2: Incremental backup (tape3, tape4)

3) Day3: Incremental backup (tape4, tape5)

So, in order to restore some file being put on the client during Day2, I'd need all tapes from 1 to 4, or only tape 3 and 4? (assume the file didn't change since being copied there). 

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello, 

If the files was backed up in day 2 and you want this version you need all the tapes from day 1 and day 2. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hello @stonefeather,

A single full backup takes 10 tapes, what if 1 tape becomes missing later

If you are concerned of data loss/not being able to restore you should consider using Object Mirror or Object Copy to make sure you store your most valuable backup data on more than a single set of media. I usually recommend placing copies in a different location/offsite.

If you recycle/export one tape objects located on that media will no longer be available in the IDB for restore. The same applies if the media is part of a backup chain (e.g. Full + Incr + Incr). Export/Recycle does not destroy data from the media. You can still import the media back into the IDB before it gets new writes.

In any case Data Protector supports restoring from partital backup chains (in case of File System backups). Lets assume Full + Incr are lost. You can restore files from the last Incr while only backup up files are available/restored.

Consider using this global option, if you need partitial restore.

IgnoreMissingFullWhileRestore=1

Data Protector calculates the backup chain based on the information in the IDB. This means if the backup chain is broken (in the middle by an exported tape, because this is something the software understands vs. a broken tape) it should force a full backup. Consider using those global options.

ForceFull=1
IncrOnProtected=1

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Wow, Sebastian, it starts making sense to me now. Much appriciated!

I took your answer as an official answer!

-- Eagle

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.