JoaoCorrea Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Adding a Linux client using a Installation Server in Data Protector 9.06

Jump to solution

Hi!

I created a Installation Server for linux clients for Data Protector 9.06. However, when I try to add a client using the GUI or even upgrade a existent client, I get this error:

[Normal] Starting installation session on quarta-feira, 3 de agosto de 2016, 08:04:07...

[Normal] Getting list of clients for installation...

[Normal] Connecting to client risco.banpara.com...

[Normal] <risco.banpara.com> Checking for response from system risco.banpara.com.

[Critical] <risco.banpara.com> [110:24] Client risco.banpara.com : client not responding.

[Critical] <risco.banpara.com> Error connecting to client risco.banpara.com
Skipping client!

[Normal] Installation session finished on quarta-feira, 3 de agosto de 2016, 08:04:07.

I found a topic saying that I should create DSA and RSA public keys in the IS and copy to the client which I'm trying to make the remote install and then it should work fine. I didn't try yet, but I was wondering if I should do this step to every client that I need to upgrade or install data protector using the GUI and IS.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Adding a Linux client using a Installation Server in Data Protector 9.06

Jump to solution

@JoaoCorrea wrote:

The IS and Cell Server are different. IS is linux and Celel Server is Windows. I can ping from and to the client and the IS, but using only client.domain.com. The short name is not responding. I'll check the network.

This usually requires a modification of /etc/resolv.conf on the Installation server. Add a line search banpara.com and the short name should resolve properly.

Then run /opt/omni/bin/omnicheck -patches -host risco.banpara.com on the Linux Installation server to see if the clients responds to Data Protector INET requests. This is similar to the telnet risco.banpara.com 5555 test.

As said before SSH key-based authentication is only required for new installations. If the clients responds properly (not blocked by any firewall) and also knows the way back to the Installation Server (is able to resolve FQDN) the upgrade should work. Having SSH key-based authentication properly configured and the OB2_SSH_ENABLED=1 in the Installation Server /opt/omni/.omnirc file does not hurt.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello,

Error "[110:24] Client risco.banpara.com : client not responding." is related to NW issue. Check if you are able to perform ping from installation server using FQDN (risco.banpara.com), Shortname and IP. 

Fixing this should solve the issue. 

Regards,

Sandeep

Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Updating a Client should work when IS and Client can properly communicate with each other. Check Network Settings like routing and name resolution (incl. reverse lookup) and make sure telnet on Port 5555 works both ways. Also if you have secured your Cell make sure the Install-Server is an allowed host and if ECC is enabled make sure both use the same settings.

For installation it is a bit tricky, only thing that works out of the box is installing as root-user via rsh/scp/ssh. Using another Unix/Linux-User f.E. with sudo-permissions won't work. The RSA/DSA Key thing is just to avoid Password Requests for Root-User or working around the Settings that prevent such a interactive Login. If direct root login is disabled on the client alltoghether (as it is for most hardened systems) you are just left with local install f.E. using a mounted NFS-Share.

Upgrade works normal on those Clients once a DP-Inet is installed.

Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your help.

About the upgrading, the client conection is ok, since the backup is made everyday. However, when I try to update this same client, that error occurs.

I understand that the public keys are to allow the remote installation using the GUI and IS. Am I correct?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

For Upgrades the public key are irellevant, Job is done via DP Inet and not SSH/SCP/RSH.

Is the Install-Server the same System as your CellServer? If not please check the things written before.

Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

The IS and Cell Server are different. IS is linux and Celel Server is Windows. I can ping from and to the client and the IS, but using only client.domain.com. The short name is not responding. I'll check the network.

Repdt = Linux IS
Risco.banpara.com = client.domain.com

[root@repdt ~]# ping risco
ping: unknown host risco
[root@repdt ~]# ping risco.banpara.com
PING risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191): icmp_seq=1 ttl=63 time=0.639 ms
64 bytes from risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191): icmp_seq=2 ttl=63 time=0.414 ms
64 bytes from risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191): icmp_seq=3 ttl=63 time=0.502 ms
64 bytes from risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191): icmp_seq=4 ttl=63 time=0.475 ms
64 bytes from risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191): icmp_seq=5 ttl=63 time=0.424 ms
64 bytes from risco.banpara.com (10.0.1.191): icmp_seq=6 ttl=63 time=0.288 ms
^C
--- risco.banpara.com ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5985ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.288/0.457/0.639/0.105 ms

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Does the Reverse-Lookup IP -> FQDN work as well?

Does a Telnet from IS to Client on Port 555 connect?

Can the Client resolve FQDN and IP from InstallServer and can it Telnet to 5555 there?

Either use FQDN on all Systems or ShortNames, don't mix them or you end up with a uncontrollable mess.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

@JoaoCorrea wrote:

This usually requires a modification of /etc/resolv.conf on the Installation server. Add a line search banpara.com and the short name should resolve properly.

Then run /opt/omni/bin/omnicheck -patches -host risco.banpara.com on the Linux Installation server to see if the clients responds to Data Protector INET requests. This is similar to the telnet risco.banpara.com 5555 test.

As said before SSH key-based authentication is only required for new installations. If the clients responds properly (not blocked by any firewall) and also knows the way back to the Installation Server (is able to resolve FQDN) the upgrade should work. Having SSH key-based authentication properly configured and the OB2_SSH_ENABLED=1 in the Installation Server /opt/omni/.omnirc file does not hurt.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

After I added the search line at the resolv.conf, the conection between the client and IS worked fine. I also had to copy the pub key to a new client and the installation also worked fine. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.