Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Advanced Backup to Disk & D2D4312 - G2

Jump to solution
Hello,
We have recently purchased a HP StorageWorks D2D4312 - G2 and the suppliers came in to install and set up with our current system, Data Protector 6.1.

Now, im no expert at this but unfortunately neither are the people we have purchased from. Multiple issues have resulted in us being unable to use the new D2D device and its sat there doing nothing. The issues were mainly around licensing because no extra licenses were purchased at all.

The support company has now gone away to purchase us an advanced backup to disk license (a 1 x 10TB license). The D2D device has 17.8 TB of physical storage. Is this the correct thing to do? It just doesn’t sound right to me, considering that we will be writing a lot more than 10TB to the device in little over a month. I know it won’t be stored as 10 TB because of de-duplication but the figures don’t match up in my head, can somebody help out and explain if this is the right thing to do?

Many thanks,
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi Neil,
So you have a 10Tb licence, but you have 17.8Tb of potential D2D storage.
I believe it is the after dedupe value that you have to License to, so you are OK as long as you don't use more than 10Tb of the D2D storage for DP backups.
If the original data totals 18Tb, but when it sits on the D2D and has been deduped and is only 9Tb then you are OK.
Best regards, Stewart

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
It is per "usable native capacity of backup disk storage."
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thank you stewart. I'm taking it that you mean i need to be licensed for 17.8TB in order to get the full function from the D2D device. Also meaingin i can backup 100's of TB's of data to the device using de-duplication.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
*bump
Any more info would be gratefully appreciated.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi Neil,
So you have a 10Tb licence, but you have 17.8Tb of potential D2D storage.
I believe it is the after dedupe value that you have to License to, so you are OK as long as you don't use more than 10Tb of the D2D storage for DP backups.
If the original data totals 18Tb, but when it sits on the D2D and has been deduped and is only 9Tb then you are OK.
Best regards, Stewart

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thank you very much for the response, thats exactly what i wanted to know.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Closed
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.