Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Kam_Melb Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

After Upgrade to ESX 6.5 Update 2 DP 10.10 (Build 134) unable to backup vCenter appliance

We've recently upgraded a customer to ESX 6.5 U2 from ESX 5.5. The vCenter appliance is now running a UNIX client where previously it was Windows-based. We can no longer backup the appliance (this is a customer requirement) via VM backup - all other VMs are successfully being backed up. Also, when I go into the backup policy and select 'VMs and templates (original)' I get the attached screen error. Has anyone come across this?

VM Template Error.JPG

0 Likes
8 Replies
Regular Contributor..

Re: After Upgrade to ESX 6.5 Update 2 DP 10.10 (Build 134) unable to backup vCenter appliance

Have also found that the OS running on the vCenter appliance looks to be a proprietary one for VMware, called Photon OS. Can't find anything yet relating to DP 10.10. Anyone else come across this?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: After Upgrade to ESX 6.5 Update 2 DP 10.10 (Build 134) unable to backup vCenter appliance

You said you have moved the vcenter to a new server. Have you added the new vcenter to the client list in DP giving the new password to access it ?

Kind regards,

Dionisio

0 Likes
Regular Contributor..

Hi Dionisio

No, ESX was upgrated to version 6.5 Update 2. It was an in-place upgrade of existing ESX server which was running 5.5. All credentials which were used previously on the previous version of ESX was migrated across to ESX 6.5 U2. No other changes were done to the virtual environment - all other VMs are being backed up fine except for the new appliance that comes part of ESX 6.5 U2 upgrade.

0 Likes
Regular Contributor..

Hi

just checking if anyone can shed some light on this issue? I know DP 10.10 supports ESX 6.5 U2 as shown in the compatibility matrix, just wondering why it doesn't see the new Linux vCenter appliance after it was upgraded from ESX 5.5.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi @Kam_Melb,

Have you re-configured the user credentials used in the Clients context for the vCenter? If you have used a (local) Windows user before this won't work anymore after the migration to VCSA.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Regular Contributor..

Hi Sebastian

thanks for the tip. Yesterday after applying Windows patches (monthly cycle) and a couple of reboots I was able to see the new VSA. I was able to select the server for VM backups but after checking this morning, it looks to have failed. I looked in the backup session for details but nothing and even running the omnidb command to look at the details, no discernible error messages. I'll be logging a case with MF Support.

Thanks for yours and others help.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello @Kam_Melb,

Here is my guess. You previously had the VEPA integration  installed on the Windows vCenter server, too. After upgrade this is no longer available to the Cell Manager. Can you please make sure you have a reachable Windows or Linux client with VEAgent integration installed and try to (re-)configure the backup using this backup proxy?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Regular Contributor..

Sebastian. Will check it out. Appreciate your inputs.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.