Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Respected Contributor.. rsamora Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Apply template to multiple backup specs simultaneously

Jump to solution

Is it possible to apply a template to more than one backup spec?  I have created an exclude list and I have 300 backup specs.  Will I have to edit each spec one by one?  I have the specs grouped into groups but when I right click a group, there isn't an option to apply a template.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Apply template to multiple backup specs simultaneously

Jump to solution

Hi Randy,

Apply template only works for file sytem backups.. Integration backups such as MS Exchange and MSSQL are not supported. Also this functionality is limited to one backup spec (datalist) at a time. If you're running Data Protector A.09.05 or later you might consider using the supplied script omniwl.pl. Refer to the Command Line Reference for details.

omniwl.pl - can be used for bulk modification of filesystem backup specifications (datalists).
The input data for modifying specifications must be present in a CSV file, with semicolon (;) as the
delimiter and double quotes (") as text separator.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

you can only create a data/barlist out of a template. Option to overwrite existing Datalists with Template-Data is not implemented or planned afaik.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response svollrat, but could you please explain your answer a little more.  I have been working with DP only since the beginning of the year and I'm not clear on what you are saying.  I think your answer is "no, you cannot apply a template to multiple backup specs at once."  Correct?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

you can create one new datalist out of a template at a time, but you can do that in rapid succession

you can not apply a template to an existing datalist

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Randy,

Apply template only works for file sytem backups.. Integration backups such as MS Exchange and MSSQL are not supported. Also this functionality is limited to one backup spec (datalist) at a time. If you're running Data Protector A.09.05 or later you might consider using the supplied script omniwl.pl. Refer to the Command Line Reference for details.

omniwl.pl - can be used for bulk modification of filesystem backup specifications (datalists).
The input data for modifying specifications must be present in a CSV file, with semicolon (;) as the
delimiter and double quotes (") as text separator.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello Randy,

Just a short one - checking with you if the replies you got are good/useful, and if yes, may I request you to click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION, if you find it to be so this can be shared.

Looking at what you posted - I agree with Sebastian - omniwl.pl is your option and you may want to consider it.

I just have one comment - 300 backup specifications. How many are FILESYSTEM backups and INTEGRATION backups. This looks to be a lot.

I guess you have a very big environment.

RGds,

Sherman (HPE DP Support)

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Good morning Sherman,

You asked a question that could start a whole new thread.  Yes, I have over 300 specs because I am a 15 year NetBackup veteran implementing Data Protector for the first time.  In my NetBackup world, I found it easier to create one backup policy per server/client.  I was at HP Discover last month and people looked at me like I was from another planet when I told them I had one spec per client.  I'm guessing this wasn't a good idea/plan?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Even in Netbackup having one Policy per Client is suicidal, I'm running several Domains myself and we never came to a point where that was slightly reasonable.

For DataProtector I can recommend multiple Datalists, grouping similar Hosts, f.E. by Location, OS-Type, Application, Retention and so on. Since you can mix different Backup Selections like Hosts (All Local Drives) or Objects (like Folder or Volume) you can group by higher locics and are not a slave of Backup Selection.

We for example have Groups for Exchange-Hostbackups, MSSQL-Hostbackups, SAP-Hostbackups, other Unix and other Windows Hosts. One such Group for each of our DataCenter-Locations. All Clients in those Groups also share the same Retention, important for good Media/Pool usage since DataProtector does not distinguish Retentions on Media. We do have a hand full of Single Client Datalists but those are usually special Backups with extraordinary Retention or Backup Selections.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello Randy,

The part on "one backup specification per client" - it is possible and you are free to do it, based on your Enterprise Backup Solution requirements (and maybe even restrictions).

But if we look things as a whole, YES - we can improve it or maybe have a more streamlined configuration.

What svollrat have suggested is a good one and you might want to consider his example.

Rgds,

Sherman

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.