Convergo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Applying patches to dataprotector

What are best practices to apply patches to a base dataprotector installation. Are there still requirements to install the patches in a specific order ?
0 Likes
6 Replies
Fayez
New Member.

Re: Applying patches to dataprotector

Every Patch has it is own prerequisite, so when you start applaying the patches, if there is missing required patch it will tell you, and you can check this while you are downloading the patches.

any way always do upgrade after applying the patches.
0 Likes
BrianDoyle Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Joe,

Look at the patch details or release notes and under Patch Dependencies it tells you what you should have in place.
From this you can work out the order to patch - Core, Cell Server, Console, Media Agent etc.

PS: Always do a Backup before patching.
0 Likes
Stewart Macleod Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Advice 1
Always ensure you have the latest Core patch installed, before doing any other DP patches.

Advice 2
On a Cell Manager I always suggest doing the latest Core, Cell Manager/Server, and Cell Console (also known as User Interface) at the same time.

Advice 3
Do the Cell Console patch on a Cell Manager even if you do not run the GUI, as it does other code too.

Advice 4
Do not install patches for integrations you do not use, so if you do not have the Informix integration in your cell do not install this patch.

Advice 5
On HP-UX Cell Manager do and "Upgrade" (selecting the Cell Manager hostname only) after installing DP patched with swinstall.
Note:- Do Not try the same step on a Windows Cell Manager.

Advice 6
If the GUI runs on a different system to the Cell Manager, then as you update the Cell Manager with Core, and Cell Console, also update the GUI system (Core, and Cell Console) too.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Alpha_1_1 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi,

The advice I've always been given by HP engineers is to install CORE, Cell Server and Cell Console in that order.

Anything outside of that, the order doesn't matter (unless there's a dependency in the release notes).

Deploy to clients as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Bob
GTS I&O - "If you noticed it before we did, it's an application issue..."
0 Likes
CBee Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ages ago (well actually in the prevous century) HP told me the next:
- If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
- If you have a problem, apply the latest fixes
- If the problem persists, call HP.

Currently, with DP i'm sort of in the middle. Once in a while (once a year roughly) I apply all patches in the following order:

- apply all patches to the installation servers (one for msWindows and one for all other platforms)
- apply the patches to the cellmanager
- apply the patches to the tape-server
- apply the patches to all other clients (in batches)
Things that go automatically, automatically go wrong...
0 Likes
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Stewart/Alpha_1/CBee....If I could assign point to your answers I would.

Stewart = 10 points.
Alpha = 8 points.
CBee = 7 Points.

All of you advice, suggestions are so right on.

MO.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.