Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Miguel_60 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

BACKUP ODA (Oracle DB Appliance) Using data Protector

Hello , i need your help

I have DP6.5 with this lics

Data Prt drive ext UNIX/NAS/SAN E-LTU (B6953AAE) 1

Data Prot Starter Pack Windows E-LTU (B6961BAE) 1

DP On-line Backup for Windows E-LTU (B6965BAE) 5

and i need to upgrade to DP10. I also have contract support. I will install a fresh windows 20008 R2 ( I suppose DP10 works fine in this OS.) and install a new DP 10.

I will install a ODA working at 10Gb LAN

I need to use DP10 to BACKUP ODA. I want to do the backup to DISK using a HP P2000G3 FC 8GB

I need to know the best solution to have backup performace.

If i put a 10GB Nic into the DP10 server, and use this NIC to communicate with LAN (ODA use 10GB using a CISCO coreSwitch), and then configure a Juke box to make the backups to a Disk (from P2000G3 , working at 8GB FC connected to a brodade) presented to CellManager server.

Do you think this works fine and fast with Data Protector.

ODA 10GB------CellManager (NIC 10GB and HBA8GB)------SAN SWITCH 8GB-----HP P2000G3 FC 8GB SAS15K HDD.----------New JOB to backup from Disk to an MSL LTO5 FC

After that i will need to create a JOB in DP to BACK from P2000G3 HDD´s to an HP AUTOLOADER WITH a LTO 5 FC.

Any others sugestions!?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: BACKUP ODA (Oracle DB Appliance) Using data Protector

Hello  Miguel_60,

For this one with DP 10.x, my first comment is do check the SUPPORT MATRIX - ensure all are supported from CM to DA to MA servers.

For Backup Performance, I would recommend to have a dedicated CM server and then for the DA server, configure it to be the same MA server, so basically you have two servers involved in this backup. Just ensure you have enough system resources - particular memory.

And then the best way to measure performance is to run backups and monitor for days or weeks to see how it is.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @Miguel_60,

I have a few customers backing up their ODA with Data Protector. It is basically just Oracle Linux and the Oracle database stack so this is supported. Having an external backup server is highly recommended. I recommend a dedicated Windows or Linux system for this.

The support matrix can be found on https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:10.04/Install/system_requirements.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

@Sherman_S-DP_L3

Hi Tks for your Answer

Two Servers? One for Cell manager, and other for Disk Agent and Media Agent , but the disk Agent and Media Agent usually are installed in the destination server to be backed up!!

This is really is no my problem, the problem is if i will use the CM to connect to LAN at 10GB nic, and backup data to a FC storage connect to CM server using "Back to file option" configuring a JUKEBOX it will work.!!!!

DP 10.x support Jukebox configuration?!

Tks

King Regards

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

@Sebastian.Koehler

Hi

Yes the Idea is use a dedicated server with DP 10.x and a 10GB nic connected to the LAN.

Then backup the ODA data to a FC storage connected to this dedicated Cell Manegr server Using Backup to FIle , configuring a JukeBox.

The problem here is the destination repository, i need first backup data to Storage disks, and then with a new ordinary job back the data from disk to a FC Hpe autoloader

Is this Possible??!

What is the best way to backup directly data do disk using DP 10.x .

We don´t have any virtual Library Device like hpe D2D , VLS or Storeonce, we just have a ordinary storage.

Thanks in advance

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Miguel_60,

For this one:

DP 10.x support Jukebox configuration?!

I will refer you to the support matrix and ask your help to check as you have full info on what is your HW.

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/attachment/KM02851981?fileName=Device_Support_Matrix_DP10.0x.pdf

HPE Data Protector 10.0x
Device Support Matrix
Version: 1.3 Date: March 2018

" . . . but the disk Agent and Media Agent usually are installed in the destination server to be backed up!!"

If the DA and MA are on the same server, then this takes out the network factor.

CM is on separate server, and so DA/MA server need to have continuous communication/connection to the CM, where it is via network. LAN at 10GB NIC should not be an issue but you can only know if you run some backups or your operations.

". . . backup data to a FC storage connect to CM server using "Back to file option" configuring a JUKEBOX it will work.!!!!"

This is a little confusing statement. It is the DA that you should check as it is the one doing the I/O read (backup) and I/O write (restore) and the one connected to the STORAGE SYSTEM where your data to be backed-up reside. CM is the central control and just monitoring the agent processes (MA/DA).

Maybe check your topology diagram - how things are physically connected and then identify the role of each - CM and which are the MA and DA servers.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

DP Support

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

@Sherman_S-DP_L3

Hi 

YES , CM is the central control and just monitoring the agent processes (MA/DA), and will be a separated server

In this scenario the DA/MA will be installed on ODA, and the comunication will be via LAN at 10GB. So far so good.

As i said we have a P2000G3 as storage, we will present a Disk to the CM Server. This server will have for example a Drive d: with 10TB

The data will "will travel" via LAN at 10GB to CM , and will be backed-up on Drive d:

In CM i will configure a JUKEBOX and will partitionated this 10TB (Drive d:) in Virtual medias (Files) ex: 1TB each. so far so good

(and there is no problem with any compatibility (i think) because i just create a Jukebox to write data to just this drive 😧 )

I just know if this will works fine.??

At last ,and here we can talk about compatibitlity i need to backup the data from Drive 😧 to a Hpe FC autoloader ( Checked and compatible) .

1) i can create a device autoloader with LTO 5 and just backup all drive 😧

2) There is any option to create a JOB ( like a copy job) where i can copy from all backups from jukeBox device to the Autoloader Device?Like a deduplication ?!

Thanks for all

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Miguel_60,

I think we need to clarify things first.

What is the hostname of your CELL MANAGER?

What is the hostname of your Disk Agent (DA) server?

What is the hostname of your Media Agent (MA) server?

Your "DA server will be installed on ODA" and so I am confused on these statements.

". . . present a Disk to the CM Server. This server will have for example a Drive d: with 10TB"

"The data will "will travel" via LAN at 10GB to CM , and will be backed-up on Drive d:"

Please do take note of the following:

Disk Agent (DA) server - the one where the database/files to backup reside and where you do your I/O read (backup) and write (restore).

Media Agent (MA) server - the one where the device is connected and where you do your write I/O (backup) or read (restore).

If you will present a Disk to CM (10 TB), then your CM will also be a DA or MA or both DA/MA.

My first comment was to isolate the CM and DA/MA servers - separate them. No issues if you  decide to have only 1 server (SERVER = CM = DA = MA) - you can decide on this part.

I hope to seek the above clarification.

If you can share a topology diagram, this will help clarify things. I just need to make sure you use the matching terminology - CM, DA, MA, etc.

For your questions:

1) i can create a device autoloader with LTO 5 and just backup all drive 😧

Yes - you can configure a device, which is an LTO 5 AUTOLOADER to your MA server.

2) There is any option to create a JOB ( like a copy job) where i can copy from all backups from jukeBox device to the Autoloader Device?Like a deduplication ?!

Yes - you can do COPY of backups from 1 device to another.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

DP SUPPORT

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.