Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

BIG troubles with simple file system restore

Dear All,
so, I've a big problem... On my old (I'm going to migrate to new hardware and version at the end of August) DP 5.5 environment I have the backup of the company main file server (1,4TB of data). It's splitted in 4 parts: each part backups different directories, (from A to F for the first part, from G to N the second part and so on to backup all the directories) , each weekend one of this part does a full backup (1st weekend full backup of 1st part, 2nd weekend full backup of 2nd part and so on to the 4th part), and every day (except weekends) it does an incremental backup in this way:
1st weekend: full backup of 1st part
1st week after the mentioned full, every day an Incr1
2nd week after the mentioned full, every day an Incr2
3rd week after the mentioned full, every day an Incr3
4th week after the mentioned full, every day an Incr4
than again a full and the cicle restart.

Now, I think that something really bad has happened to the IDB... Apparently I've nothing bad, but I'm trying 2 different restores, and it says (similar message for the 2nd restore):

[Warning] From: RSM@itdcmaf9mil "" Time: 06/08/2008 18.11.08
Following tree from itmilpd2:/G "G:",
session 2008/07/26-198 has not been found in database:
/Work/Commercial/Category Management/Assortimento/2009/GDO/ranking 2009/NO CARBS
Whole object will be read to perform restore.

OFF COURSE it can't find that tree in the session "2008/07/26-198"! This session number refers to a full backup of the 4th part backup (directories from S to Z), instead it has to search the full of the 1st part, which is 2008/07/11-490!!

Is there a way to fix this? The data are on the tape, all the backups went fine, but if I try to restore them, DataProtector wrongly handle the sessions and after hours (because it scans the whole tapes) it fails...

The tapes are different between sessions, the logging is "all" and the retention time (for data and logs) is 62 days (so I'm in the right window).

Please help me because I've 2 managers that are hardly pushing me for these restores and I don't know how to takes the data I see on the tapes 😞

Thanks, Alex
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: BIG troubles with simple file system restore

Hi Alex,

do you see the data on the tape?Did you try to import the catalog of the tape?

Regards,
Robert
If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life , to repress their personality. That's not living,it's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: BIG troubles with simple file system restore

Most probably the IDB was damaged, I explained the users the problem, and now I'm still alive (strange but true!) and I migrated the backup on a new DP6 environment, where all is working perfectly (let's hope Murphy and his law will not listen me!!)

Thanks, Alex
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.