Jim LaBounty Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Backing up servers in the DMZ

Jump to solution
The backup device is in a SAN.
Many servers can "see" it.
But I guess the answer to your question is yes, because it's (the tape drive) not directly attached to the server on the DMZ.

No I didn't restart DP....backups are running...I will, and report back.

We have about 60 tape drives (nation wide) and depending on the backup scheduling, most of them could be working at the same time during our nightly backup cycle.
0 Likes
Kurt Beyers. Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The line must be added in each omnirc file of the server(s) where the logical device(s) is (are) defined on in the backup specification of the DMZ server.

Kurt
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Let me see if I got that.
If I have a backup and all it does is backup the one DMZ server (using 1 drive) then I only need update the omnirc file on the server that has the tape drive attached and is running the MA?
In this case that's our UNIX cell mgr.

I'm still concerned...about how that will effect the other hundreds of servers (only 3 of which are on the DMZ) and backups that run thru the cell mgr and see that omnirc file?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Jim,

[quote]
Let me see if I got that.
If I have a backup and all it does is backup the one DMZ server (using 1 drive) then I only need update the omnirc file on the server that has the tape drive attached and is running the MA?
In this case that's our UNIX cell mgr.
[/quote]

Yes that is correct

[quote]
I'm still concerned...about how that will effect the other hundreds of servers (only 3 of which are on the DMZ) and backups that run thru the cell mgr and see that omnirc file?
[/quote]

How many tape drives do you use in the backups concurrently. If it are two drives, the 5 ports in xMA-NET are enough. If you have more drives (eg N), reserve (2N+1) ports in the line. The other backups will keep on working as they did before.

Kurt

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
OK OK, but (please don't lose patience with me...at least not yet).
.... Your statement "The other backups will keep on working as they did before" confuses me a bit. What are my "other" backups? If I reserve (2N+1)...which may be up to 60...to accomodate the max concurrent drives, that's all of them....there would be no "other" backups.

Is the 2N+1 only for DMZ backups?
Is DP smart enough to only use the 5 ports in the omnirc file for the backup of DMZ servers?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Jim,

[quote]
Is the 2N+1 only for DMZ backups?
Is DP smart enough to only use the 5 ports in the omnirc file for the backup of DMZ servers?
[/quote]

2N+1 is for all of the servers. The port restrictments in .omnirc are used for your LAN backups as well as I already said in one of my other replies.

Kurt
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.