Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Backup Object summary order

Doing my weekend backups, i have set the backup object order to start the largest systems first.  For the most part i can see in the log that it is behaving, but there are some that although have been indicated to start near the beginning, dont' start until about 24 hours later.  I have treewalking disabled on the systems in question.

is there something else that could be delaying the startup?

thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I really don't ahve any idea what could be causeing this, unless, perhaps, a jobs is assigned based on the concurrency of the device

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

There can be several reasons....but 24 hours sounds a bit too much

Things you could check if it is Windows:

- Virus Scanner

- Any monitoring processes (I recently encountered a similar problem caused by HP System Monitor hpshmd.exe slowing down the backups to almost crawling speed)

- Firewall

- DNS resolution etc. etc.

If it is happening only on weekends or particular days of the week, then it might be worthwhile to check the Windows scheduler too.

On Unix, you could run glance (or similar performance monitor on Linux) to check if there are any network blockages, ping issues etc. Check crontab if the problem is seen on particular weekdays.

As strange it might sound, but the problem can be on the CM itself. If it is a large filesystem with lot of objects that you are backing up, there are many IDB entries to be done...and if the IDB maintainance kicks in at the same time, the CM system might be stressed...

If the startup is being delayed, I rather suspect something related to CM, because if the problem was on client site, the backup would have aborted / failed due to timeout....

So in short, there are too many variables for your problem, try to isolate by eliminating one by one.

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class

The first 4 suggestions check out okay.

What i can add is that this backup job that is delayed so long is a fileserver, so it has a large number of small files.  However there are multiple file servers and the other ones don't seem to have this issue.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Can you check the logging level for that object? In case of large number of small files changing the logging level to "Directories Only" would help.

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class

the logging is set to full.  since the most common scenario i have for restoring is for individual deleted files, what would be the impact of setting this to directory?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.