Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Backup job does not append to media

Using DP 9.09 on CentOS6. 
In December we had decided we would try an upgrade to DP10 on C7. There were complications so we restored the original. We had taken a clonezilla image beforehand... and so it was used to restore. Since then jobs are no longer appending to free space to the LTO5 Library.

Jobs 1-3 are set to use the LTO5 Tape Library in pool LTO5 - jobs are not appending to remaining free space. Instead each job is grabbing the next available tape.
Job4 is set to use LTO6 Tape Library in pool LTO6 - jobs are appending as desired.
We have verified that all the settings should be correct in each media pool. Appendable and Loose.
We have tried to create a new media pool and then moved the LTO5 media into the new pool, problem continues.
We created a new test job using the new media pool - it's still fails to append.to the LTO5 pool
Due to strict politics - I cannot test backing up jobs1-3 onto the LTO6 pool.

We have only verified the settings from the Windows GUI Manager located on another machine. 

1) how can I verify the setup directly from the Linux CLI?
2) what am I missing? What else can I try to resolve the issue?

Any pointers much appreciated!!!

0 Likes
16 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

Do you get any error message during backup? The command for to check pool configuration from CLI  is "omnimm -list_pool [PoolName] [-detail]"

Best Regards

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

no errors - the jobs do complete.
You gave me the hint I needed to verify: omnimm -show_pools [PoolName]

Policy : App+Loose+Uninitialized First

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

./omnimm -show_pool_alloc LTO5

Allocation order for pool : LTO5
Nr. Medium Label Location
==============================================================================
1 [HQ9819L5] HQ9819L5 HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 3
2 [HQ9818L5] HQ9818L5 HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 4
3 [HQ9804L5] HQ9804L5 HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 5
===============================================================================
Available for allocation : 18277621504 [KB]

./omnimm -list_appendable_media LTO5

Appendable media of pool LTO5
Nr. Medium Label Location
==============================================================================

No appendable media found.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

Not sure if I understood the issue correctly, if you don't have any error message why do you suspect that something is not working?

Once that all tapes has been used one time, does DP append those tapes correctly? As far as I know this behavior could be right

Appendable Media
------------------
Media in 'Good' condition, with some currently protected data objects,
but the media is not full. The pool must be 'appendable'.
This media set is sorted according to the time of the last write.
The most recently written medium is listed first.

Order of use: when one or more media have protected objects, the most
recently written media is reused first.

HOWEVER

Uninitialized Media

Media is assumed by Data Protector to not yet have a Data Protector
header and that it can be auto-initialized as required, during backups.
The pool policy must be Loose to allow auto-initialization and the global
file needs InitOnLoosePolicy=1.
This media set is only available in exchanger devices.
This media set is sorted with 'Blank' media ahead of media with an
'Unknown' header.

Order of use:
a. 'Blank' media is used first.
b. 'Unknown' media is only used when there is no 'Blank' media.

Best Regards 

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

I currently have unprotected known media that has been used before by DP. When a job runs, instead of appending to a tape, it is grabbing the next tape. And it looks like for some reason DP is not seeing the media as appendable, despite the fact that the policy clearly states it is appendable.

I'm using an LTO5 in a 8 drive auto loader filled with tapes showing me so much un-used space. 

Like I said - this is very confusing to us. It should be appending to tapes that still have free space but is not.

A small edit to only show tapes in the library...

./omnimm -list_pool LTO5
Status Medium Label Location Full Protected
==========================================================================================

Fair [HQ9818L5] HQ9818L5 [HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 4 No None
Fair [HQ9804L5] HQ9804L5 [HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 5 No None
Fair [HQ9810L5] HQ9810L5 [HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 2 No 01/25/21 05:34:14
Fair [HQ9819L5] HQ9819L5 [HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 3 No None
Fair [HQ9836L5] HQ9836L5 [HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR_omni_LTO5: 1 No 04/10/21 23:18:37

and this is info about a tape that should have been appendable, but I really don't understand why it is being marked as not appendable.

Medium identifier : 0100007f:57361f53:510f:0007

Medium label : [HQ9836L5] HQ9836L5
Medium Owner : DPSERVERNAME
Blocks used [KB] : 58594560
Blocks total [KB] : 6703226880
Usable space [KB] : 6644632320
Number of writes : 2
Number of overwrites : 13
Number of errors : 0
Medium initialized : Wed 15 Mar 2017 03:18:04 PM EDT
Last write : Sun 10 Jan 2021 09:34:48 PM EST
Last access : Sun 10 Jan 2021 09:34:48 PM EST
Last overwrite : Sun 10 Jan 2021 09:31:06 PM EST
Protected : 04/10/21 23:18:37
Write-protected : No

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

despite all our settings - jobs should be appending data unto free space of the media in the pool - it is not
The media in the pool  has been used in the past in the desired manner.
this is an LTO5 Library with 8 tapes in the Library Arms. I put media into the arms as dictated by DP.

With whatever is going on I'm using 3 tapes per day with lots of wasted space instead of the usual 3 full tapes per week.

DP is not behaving as expected and there are no errors.
This confusion is why I am asking for help. It should be straight forward, but I'm stuck scratching my head.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

Well you need reproduce issue in debug mode for to analyze what is happening. The best way is to configure new backup for to use and specific LTO 5 used tape and run it. After that open a support case explaining the issue and they will help you.

If you share with us the case ID I will be able to check debugs too.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @svcwheeler,

You did show the pool allocation earlier, but I'm not sure which of the tapes are full or not. I would like to understand what you are seeing exactly. Which tapes are supposed to be appendable. Please explain, using the output of the following commands:

omnimm -show_pools LTO5
omnimm -show_pool_alloc LTO5

omnimm -list_pool LTO5

This last command should show you that the appendable tapes are 'not' Full. If they are not being appended then I would assume that they are flagged full for one or another reason.

As @JBasilio already indicated, we may need debugs of a test backup. I would like to add we may need the MMD debugs also. Note you can debug mmd "on the fly" without a need to restart any services:

mmd -redebug 1-300 DBG

Do this before starting the test backup in debug mode. When the session has finished, the mmd debugging can be stopped with:

mmd -stopdebug

In any case, put the output of the omnimm commands together with an explanation here please. Understanding whether the tapes are being flagged "Full" or not is the first thing we need. If they are flagged full then we need to find out why. If they are not flagged full then we need to find another reason why they are possibly not being appended.

Thanks,

Koen

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

I'm waiting for my manager to open the ticket.
The attached file contains the output.

For the debug - I'm less familiar with the linux command to enable debug.
I have found a way to enable debugging from my Windows GUI manager - will that suffice? Once I enabled the GUI Debug, I ran a test backup twice. Do I upload the debug here or only once I get that ticket open?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

You are right as soon debug mode is enabled from GUI all clients involved will create necessary debugs. Please upload debugs to FTP case support and will be accesible.

Best Regards

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

OK. What I see from the provided output is that slot 2 contains a tape which should get appended, as it is not flagged full.

Question: Are the tapes in the other slots (3,4,5) initialized or not? If you scan those slots then what is the output?

Koen

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.