Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. chindi Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Backup waits for exactly 10 min to start

Jump to solution

We have DP 7.03 in our setup with win 2008 R2 cell manager and hpux 11iv3 clients .

For evry backup we have to wait for 10 min to start it .

Please find below sessin log ;

[Normal] From: BSM@dpb "ARCH_BKP_154_FRI" Time: 3/27/2015 12:25:05 PM
Opening MultiPath library control named 'HP:MSL G3 Series' on path 'hnu;/dev/rac/c34t0d1'.

[Warning] From: UMA@dcdb2 "HP:MSL G3 Series" Time: 3/27/2015 12:35:03 PM
The device "HP:MSL G3 Series" could not be opened("Device could not be accessed")

[Normal] From: UMA@dcdb2 "HP:MSL G3 Series" Time: 3/27/2015 12:35:03 PM
Starting the device path discovery process.

[Normal] From: UMA@dcdb2 "HP:MSL G3 Series" Time: 3/27/2015 12:35:08 PM
A new path(s) "/dev/rchgr/autoch1" found for device "HP:MSL G3 Series" and stored.

[Normal] From: UMA@dcdb2 "HP:MSL G3 Series" Time: 3/27/2015 12:35:08 PM
Device path discovery process finished.

[Normal] From: BMA@dcdb2 "HP:Ultrium 4-SCSI_1" Time: 3/27/2015 12:35:08 PM
By: UMA@dcdb2@/dev/rchgr/autoch1
Loading medium from slot 56 to device /dev/rtape/tape3_BESTn

What could be the reson for the same ?

Its very anoying and very irritating .

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Backup waits for exactly 10 min to start

Jump to solution

Right-click on your Library, and pick Properties.  In the General tab, uncheck 'MultiPath' device'.  Your client field will now become editable, you can put in a client hostname that controls the robotics. Go the the Control tab.  In the field "SCSI address or filename of Library robotic" enter the correct SCSI address or filename that you fecovered from running the 'devbra' on that system.  Click Apply

The other clients will disappear when you uncheck 'MultiPath Device', so there is no need to delete anything.

This should not affect your backup, although I would advise that you test teh operation by scanning a single media first, to be sure everything is working together

Making this change should not affect your REstores

You are getting the message about 61-100 slots because you are not properly licensed for your library.  You get support for a 50-slot library by default. If you configure a library with more than 50 slots, you need a 51-250 slot library license, and, if more that 250 slots, you need an unlimited slot license

You can remove this error by deleting any slot numbers above 50

10 Replies
Contributor.. tawaraja_2015 Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Good day Chindi,

It seems that your device server is one of the HPUX client. The initial device path seems to be malformed with hnu;.

Could you try to make the robotic to be single path instead of being multipath ? Let only one device server to control the robotics and only use only one path.

The tape drives can continue to be multi-pathed.

Regards,

Tawaraja Sandra Rajoo

Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Appears the path for your Library device is incorrect.

DP Tries to use the given path until it times out and initiates a new Scan.

Looks like the Updated Path is then not written back to mmdb and the Process starts from scratch each time.

Please correct the Device-Path for your Robot and make sure you have persistent binding active so that the Path will stay the same after a reboot.

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Guys ,

How do i set the correct path for my robot ?

Also let me know how to make it permanent ?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

You have defined 'hnu;/dev/rac/c34t0d1' as your Robotic-Path which is surely wrong.

>;< should not be allowed there

The devbra-Tool finds the Robot at "/dev/rchgr/autoch1" according to your listing.

Suggest to set that and try again.

With "debbra -dev" you can scan for Devices found on your server.

To fix the Device-Adresses you would need to check the documentation on your OS and HBA, is a little different everywhere. Search for "persistent binding", that should help.

Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Aside from not spelling it correctly, 'svolrat' is right, you can use the 'devbra -dev' command to determine all locally-attached SCSI devices, or, as I like to put it "Devbra is your friend"

Whenever you access a drive for any reason, a 'devbra' is run in the background.  This looks at teh serial numbers fo rthe robotics and drives, Obtains the device file or SCSI path for that device, and compares it to how you have it configured

In this case, you need to get to the command prompt on the nachine that controls your robotics "dcdb2"

cd /opt/omni/lbin

./devbra -dev

You may wish to output this to a file

./devbra -dev > /tmp/devbra.txt

This will produce something like this  (this is from a test system that has a 1-drive tape library)

# /opt/omni/lbin/devbra -dev

Tape

HP:Ultrium 3-SCSI Path: "/dev/rmt/0mn" SN: "HU109yyyy"
Description: HP LTO3 Drive
Revision: D23W Device type: lto [13] Flags: 0x0001

Exch

HP:1x8 G2 AUTOLDR Path: "/dev/rac/c0t4d1" SN: "MXA942xxxx"
Description: HP StorageWorks 1x8 Cartridge Autoloader
Revision: 2.80 Flags: 0x0006 Slots: 7 Drives: 1
Drive(s) SN:
"HU109yyyy"

In the area marked Exch, the serial number is MXA942xxxx, and the device file is "/dev/rac/c0t4d1"

This would be checked against the way that you have teh exchanger configured.  If there is no match, the option "Automatically Detect Changed SCSI path" takes over,and your configuration is updated, just as shown in your session report

To make this change permanent, go into Devices and media, get Properties for the Exchanger, pick the Control tab, and either click the down-arrow in the Device file or SCSI address field, and pick the correct entry (should have a green check next to it), or just type in the correct device file.  Click OK and APply

I agree with tawaraja_2015, your Exchanger should not be multi-plexed

Contributor.. tawaraja_2015 Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Bob_Clark,

Last year I had similar issues on RHEL where my tape drive serial number always getting injected with funny characters.

We fixed it by using persistent binding address from udev. After that, the LUN shifting and funny serial numbers injection stopped completely.

Looking at the changed robotic address, the path should be updated and remain the same after DP does the auto discovery. So, it's funny that the address gets tampered again.

I feel the library should be configured with persistent binding. 

Perhaps you have a good documentation on how to configure persistent binding on HPUX.

Regards,

Tawaraja Sandra Rajoo

Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Persistent Binding is most likely your best solution for thsi problem.  Unfortunately, I am pretty much a One-Trick Pony when it comes to Data Protector.  To my KNowledge, Persistent Binding is set within the Network Swqitch Router itself, and has not much to do with the OS besides changing the device file whenever it is rebooted

I suggest that you contact the SAN support group to ask about this

I also 'googled'

persistent binding hpux

Got a few more Forum articles, and this looks interesting

http://unix.ittoolbox.com/groups/technical-functional/hp-ux-l/persistent-binding-of-tape-drives-on-a-san-enviroment-with-hpux-11-2125252

Looks like HP-UX 11i v3 already solve the problem by using a new feature called Agile Addressing that finally solve the problem of SAN tape devices being renamed when server goes down for any maintenance.

I hope that this helps

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Guys ,
How can i make my robotic path single one.
At the moment i can see exchanger is multiplexed  , and all clients have been listed in it almost 15 clients.
Can i just delete all of them and keep only one cell manager windows server  on it whose SCSI id will never change even afer Reboot ?

After deleting all remaining clients/device server hope it wont affect my Backup  , ofcourse i will ensure that there are no backups running in this time .

But it wont affect my restores in future right ??

Will  above solution solve my problem or i need to go to each client run devbra -dev chk serial number and make necessary changes ??

One more thing when am trying to add/remove any clients from this drive am getting that 61-100 slots display message cannot backup from this slots .

0 Likes
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Right-click on your Library, and pick Properties.  In the General tab, uncheck 'MultiPath' device'.  Your client field will now become editable, you can put in a client hostname that controls the robotics. Go the the Control tab.  In the field "SCSI address or filename of Library robotic" enter the correct SCSI address or filename that you fecovered from running the 'devbra' on that system.  Click Apply

The other clients will disappear when you uncheck 'MultiPath Device', so there is no need to delete anything.

This should not affect your backup, although I would advise that you test teh operation by scanning a single media first, to be sure everything is working together

Making this change should not affect your REstores

You are getting the message about 61-100 slots because you are not properly licensed for your library.  You get support for a 50-slot library by default. If you configure a library with more than 50 slots, you need a 51-250 slot library license, and, if more that 250 slots, you need an unlimited slot license

You can remove this error by deleting any slot numbers above 50

Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thanks Bob , Tawaraja ,Svollrat you guys made my life much easier
I have been struggling for past 1 year .
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.