Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Best Practice for Removing a Session from the IDB

Jump to solution

If I want to remove a session from the IDB, should I right click the session and choose "Remove Session" or set the expiration of the data and catalog protection to none and let the database maintenance clean it up?

I was just concerned simply removing the session will not result in removing the data from the IDB.

I'm running DP 7.03

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

It does not matter how you remove the session, either you change protection to none or remove the session. The catalog information is kept in IDB until purged. The purge is running daily during omnicheck (see global for the defaults at highnoon or 12:30). However, obsolete filename version for a server are purged only daily when limit is reached. So I recommend to purge your IDB on a regular basis (depending on environment every 1-3 months) and with -force option for the filenames purge.

The good news: after you migrated to DP 8.XX or 9.0X, the purge is no longer required, instead in PostgreSQL the autovacuum fasture will do the job.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

It does not matter how you remove the session, either you change protection to none or remove the session. The catalog information is kept in IDB until purged. The purge is running daily during omnicheck (see global for the defaults at highnoon or 12:30). However, obsolete filename version for a server are purged only daily when limit is reached. So I recommend to purge your IDB on a regular basis (depending on environment every 1-3 months) and with -force option for the filenames purge.

The good news: after you migrated to DP 8.XX or 9.0X, the purge is no longer required, instead in PostgreSQL the autovacuum fasture will do the job.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.