Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

C:\Windows\Temp Can Data Protector backup C:\Windows\Temp. Not seeing folder in restore window.

Jump to solution

A system admin asked us to restore some files in a windows 2012 server under C:\Windows\Temp.

Although I'm able to browse C:\Windows\Temp in the backup job and see folders and files I'm not able to see them in the restore source window.   Can Data Protector backup C:\Windows\Temp?

Very strange.  Is there something in Windows OS that prevents DP from backing up C:\Windows\Temp?

I'm running DP v10.30 on Windows 2012 R2 as my Cell Manager.  The client is a Windows 2012 R2.

Thanks in advance for any responses or feedback.

MO.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: C:\Windows\Temp Can Data Protector backup C:\Windows\Temp. Not seeing folder in restore windo

Jump to solution

Hi @Victor_F_DP 

Thank you for the information.  This answers my question.

Technician I was working with also sent me the link.  I checked Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup.

MO_4_0-1583864863621.png

Sure enough, "TEMP" is listed as one of the folders not backed.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: C:\Windows\Temp Can Data Protector backup C:\Windows\Temp. Not seeing folder in restore windo

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4

I created a backup selecting only the C:\Windows\Temp: image.png

And even when the folder have 600MB of data: 

image.png

No data is backed up: 

[Normal] From: VBDA@clientname "C:" Time: 3/6/2020 4:08:27 PM
Filesystem Statistics:

Directories ........ 0
Regular files ...... 0
------------------------------
Objects Total ...... 0
Total Size ......... 0.00 KB

So this data is skipped as temporary and not backed up. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4,

When backing up the whole C: drive object the folder C:\Windows\Temp does not even show up in restore. So it is intentionally skipped.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

@Victor_F_DP 

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Thank you both for your reply.

I also set up a test backups with 4 different Windows Servers (2 Physical and 2 VMs).  Chose 2 folders on each of the servers in C:\Windows\Temp and some "other" miscellaneous folder.   Backup ran without errors.

When choosing this test backup session to restore from I'm only able to select the “other” folder.  “Temp” is greyed out.

Can I override this option in Data Protector?  Is this a backup software industry wide shortfall or is it just isolated to MicroFocus Data Protector?

No C-Windows-Temp.png

Thanks,

MO.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4

I cannot tell about other backup software, but DP works in that way. Until I know, there is no way to change that configuration. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi @MO_4,

I have never seen complains on this before. So what is the use case for including C:\Windows\Temp? From my point of view this is hard coded, because it is not mentioned in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\OpenView\OmniBackII\Agents\FileSystem\Exclude.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @Sebastian.Koehler

It’s not really a complaint but more of an eye opener that DP excludes C:\Windows\temp.   The Server Admin saw files needed by business owner on C:\Windows\temp.  They are not sure how they ended up there to begin with since the application has its own home folder.  Anyway, they were able to recreate the needed files but we were left wondering who is dictating what Windows folders to exclude from backup.  Is it Window’s OS or DP built in rule to exclude Windows OS folders considered transient. 

Now I’m curious to know what other Folders/Files might be excluded (if any) from backups, and if there's documentation either from MicroFocus or Microsoft.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4

According documentation, some folders are excluded. 

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.12/WindowsSystemsBackup

Check under What is not backed up?

Andres Fallas Salazar

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @Victor_F_DP 

Thank you for the information.  This answers my question.

Technician I was working with also sent me the link.  I checked Registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup.

MO_4_0-1583864863621.png

Sure enough, "TEMP" is listed as one of the folders not backed.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.