Thomas Martin Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

CIFS Backup slow after upgrade from DP 9.09 to DP 10.40

Hello,

I have some trouble after the upgrade from DP 9.09 to DP 10.40. The upgrade went fine and all backups that are using the DP agents went fine and fast.

I did not change any settings for the jobs.

I have some backup jobs that only back up shares (agent not possible). After the upgrade to DP 10.40 the speed drops down to 30% and the CPU of the backup source goes up to 100%.

The DP inet service on the Mediaserver is running under a domain account which is used to connect to the shares.

I know that DP has now some communication security features build in. But these features should not reduce the CIFS backup to 30%.

I open a case last monday but the support did not find an answer until now. The case has already escalated.

Has anyone the same problems?

Regards

Thomas

0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: CIFS Backup slow after upgrade from DP 9.09 to DP 10.40

Hello @Thomas Martin,

What NAS device are you backing up (model, firmware). Is there an Anti-Virus protection on the Disk Agent/NAS device interfering with the backup somehow? Can you share the omnirc options defined on the Disk Agent doing the CIFS backup.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hello Sebastian,

here are the active omnirc parameters:

OB2DEVMUTEXTIMEOUT=1200
OB2AUTODDTIMEOUT=300

OB2SHMIPC=0
OB2IPCKEEPALIVE=1
OB2INETTIMEOUT=10
OB2IPCKEEPALIVETIME=900
OB2IPCKEEPALIVEINTERVAL=60
OB2IPCNOSENDRECVLOOP=1
OB2SKIPDIRECTORY=1

OB2RECONNECT_RETRY=3600
OB2RECONNECT_ACK=7200

OB2_USE_OLDER_TREEWALK=1

OB2NOTREEWALK=1
OB2PORTRANGESPEC=xMA-NET: 20000-20100
OB2MADETECTDRIVESWAP=0

OB2NDMPFH=Y
OB2NDMPDIRECT=Y
# OB2NDMPMEMONLY=0
# OB2NDMPFHFILEOPT=N:\NDMP_Backup\Logs, 200, 10240
# OB2NDMPFHFILEOPT=O:\NDMP_Backup\Logs, 200, 10240
OB2NDMPFMV4=1

NAS Device NetApp 8.2.4P6 7-Mode;  no Antivirus active

NAS Device NetApp Ontap 9.3;  no Antivirus active

I have the same behavior with 7-mode and cdot systems. DP 9.09 is fast and DP10.40 is only 30%. I use a Nulldevice in both DP installations for these tests.

NDMP is no longer used.

Regards

Thomas

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello @Thomas Martin,

Do you see the same results with OB2_USE_OLDER_TREEWALK=0? Is async reading used on the backup spec?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hello Sebastian,

we have the same results with the changed parameter. 

We will try "async reading" tomorrow.

Maybe we have to go back to 9.09.

Regards

Thomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello @Thomas Martin,

Are you able just to downgrade the Disk Agent reading the CIFS data or is the Cell Manager doing all the CIFS backups here? Instead of downgrading rolling back completely I would prefer to use a A.09.09 Disk Agent in the meantime until this problem has been found/fixed and leave the rest on A.10.40.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Hello Sebastian,

the CM is doing the CIFS Backup and all the other backups. There's no other media server.

Maybe we can test this with a VM and a Nulldevice. Then we can figure out if we can implement another physical backup server.

I think it is not possible to Downgrade the DA on the CM.

We are talking about 55+TB in one volume.

NDMP is not working with this capacity. Until 54TB it was working fine, then the performance goes down.

Regards

Thomas

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello @Thomas Martin,

I used an unsupported way of reverting only the Media Agent on a 10.20 Cell Manager and a bunch of clients some time ago to work around a temporary problem.

Going back to 9.09 on a 10.40 CM will be a problem because the old Disk Agent does not understand Secure Communication. But this will still work if the Disk Agent and Media Agent reside on the same host. I guess this is the case here.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.