Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. NavyYard Absent Member..
Absent Member..

CRS error when connect to DP clients from DP manager after turning on encryption

Jump to solution

Hi!

I have DP 8.00 with recent patches (DPUXBDL_00801) running on my HP-UX server. I recently turned on encryption on cell manager and all the clients connected to it using omnicc utility to turn on encryption.

I have DP Manager 8.00 built 596 and it runs on Win 2008 platform.

When I am trying to connect to connect to DP server from DP Manager I am getting CRS errors and can not connect.

HP can start and stay up successfully on hp-ux platform without issues.

Why can't client connect and what can be done to fix client connect failure issue?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: CRS error when connect to DP clients from DP manager after turning on encryption

Jump to solution

One of my suggestions was going to be to turn off encryption to see if it fails the same way, to try and track what may be causing this problem

Step 1. On the Cell Manager:

• Remove/Rename the "config" file from the <DP_CONFIG>/clients
• Remove/Rename the "config" file from the <DP_CONFIG>/server
• Remove "-encryption 1" from <DP_CONFIG>/server /cell/cell_info file

Step 2. On ALL DP clients:

11 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: CRS error when connect to DP clients from DP manager after turning on encryption

Jump to solution

When you say 'DP Manager', are you talking about the GUI running on a Windows system?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Yes. 'DP Manager' is the GUI running on a Windows system.

Cell server is on HP-UX 11.31.

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Bob!

I modified to see if turning off will change the status, but it did not, here is what they look like:

/etc/opt/omni/client/config file and changed value to enabled=0;

/etc/opt/omni/server/config file and changed value to enabled=0

/etc/opt/omni/server/cell/cell_info and changed the value to enabled 0

CONFIG FILE

Full_Server_Name={

encryption={

enabled=0;

trusted_certificates_file='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.pem';

certificate_chain_file='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.pem';

private_key_file='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.pem';

pkcs12_keystore_filename='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.p12';

pkcs12_keystore_password='hpdpcert';

pkcs12_ca_certificate_filename='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.p12';

pkcs12_ca_certificate_password='hpdpcert';

pkcs12_private_key_filename='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.p12';

pkcs12_private_key_password='hpdpcert';

};

CLIENT CONFIG FILE

encryption={

enabled=0;

trusted_certificates_file='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.pem';

certificate_chain_file='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.pem';

private_key_file='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.pem';

pkcs12_keystore_filename='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.p12';

pkcs12_keystore_password='hpdpcert';

pkcs12_ca_certificate_filename='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.p12';

pkcs12_ca_certificate_password='hpdpcert';

pkcs12_private_key_filename='/etc/opt/omni/client/certificates/hpdpcert.p12';

pkcs12_private_key_password='hpdpcert';

};

CELL INFOFile

-host "Full CLIENT1 Name" -os "hp ia64 hp-ux-11.31" -encryption 0 -core A.08.00 -cs A.08.00 -da A.08.00 -ma A.08.00 -cc A.08.00 -docs A.08.00 -ts_core A.08.00 -ts_cs A.08.00 -ts_as A.08.00 -ws A.08.00 -ts_jre A.08.00 -jce_dispatcher A.08.00 -jce_serviceregistry A.08.00 -host "Full CLIENT2 Name" -os "hp ia64 hp-ux-11.31" -encryption 0 -core A.08.00 -da A.08.00 -ma A.08.00 -ts_core A.08.00 -host "Full Server3 Name" -os "hp ia64 hp-ux-11.31" -encryption 0 -core A.08.00 -da A.08.00 -ma A.08.00 -ts_core A.08.00 -host "Full CLIENT3 Name" -os "hp ia64 hp-ux-11.31" -encryption 0 -core A.08.00 -da A.08.00 -ma A.08.00 -ts_core A.08.00 -host "Full CLIENT4 Name" -os "hp ia64 hp-ux-11.31" -core A.08.00 -da A.08.00 -ma A.08.00 -ts_core A.08.00 -encryption 0

0 Likes
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

One of my suggestions was going to be to turn off encryption to see if it fails the same way, to try and track what may be causing this problem

Step 1. On the Cell Manager:

• Remove/Rename the "config" file from the <DP_CONFIG>/server
• Remove "-encryption 1" from <DP_CONFIG>/server /cell/cell_info file

Step 2. On ALL DP clients:

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Bob. your advice did the magic. Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Bob!

Removal worked fine. Now, how do I turn encryption on correctly? My setup has DP 8.0 cell mgr running on hp-ux and DP client is Win 2008 to manage data protector. After turning encryption on, DP client on Win 2008 fails to connect (CRS errors) with DP server 8.0 running on hp-ux.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Please send me the exact error you are getting, in 'txt' format if possible

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi!

This is what i get in DP manager window when try to connect to any process menu:

Connection to CRS failed.

To start the Data Protector daemons on the Cell Manager host use the command omnisv -start on the Cell Manager or check if the communication between the Cell Manager and client is encrypted with the command omnicc -encryption -status -all on the Cell Manager.

Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Bob!

a little more info when I turn encrypt on; but clients fail to connect when encryption is on.

# omnicc -encryption -status -all

Client             Enabled         Enabled(CM)

server1.db.com       true           true

server2.db.com       true           true

server3.db.com       true           true

server4.db.com       true           true

server5.db.com       true           true

server1:/sbin/init.d #

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

One thng I learned yesterday.  Make sure that the system running the GUI has been importd into the cell,  You can look at the cell_info file ( you sent a copy of the file earlier) to see if the Windows system running the GUI is included

You may need to disable ECC to import this system

Tags (1)
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank You Bob. Your advice helped me tremendously.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.