Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Highlighted
Mara-Miranda Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can I tell Data Protector which device driver to use?

Jump to solution

If I am running Data Protector on a RHEL 6 server, and I have on that server scsi_generic driver, and IBM lintape driver installed, can I tell DP which of these drivers to use?

For example, in TSM this would be done by selecting the desired device when defining the paths (DEFINE PATH).

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Can I tell Data Protector which device driver to use?

Jump to solution

Hey Mara,

open the Data Protector GUI and navigate to Devices & Media context. There you define a logical representation of your libraries and drives.

2016-06-17_18h14_56.png
Please review all advanced options for the libraries and drives before using. Options items such as segment size must be increased to allow good performance. The F1 help is your friend.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Mara-Miranda,

from what I know Data Protector works best with the sg and st device drivers. This means the /dev/nst and /dev/sg devices are the best choice for backup devices. To ensure persistency I usually recommend to use the symlinks automatically created in  /dev/tape/by-id and disable discovery of changed device path.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Mara-Miranda Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Sebastian.Koehler, thanks for the answer.

Where do I tell Data Protector to use the /dev/sg devices?
For example, is there a defining paths process?

Thanks

Mara

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hey Mara,

open the Data Protector GUI and navigate to Devices & Media context. There you define a logical representation of your libraries and drives.

2016-06-17_18h14_56.png
Please review all advanced options for the libraries and drives before using. Options items such as segment size must be increased to allow good performance. The F1 help is your friend.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.