Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Can't power on VM after restore that VM in different cluster and datastore.

I have take backup from a cluster group using vCenter. As customer requirements, we need to restore that VM in different cluster (Means different host) and different datastore. The restore process has been completed successfully but when we tried to power on the VM it fails.

Need some expert advise on this. 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Nipu Datta,

We would need more details on your environment such as Data Protector and VMware/vCenter version. Can you share the PowerOn session report and the possible error messages you're seeing during PowerOn in vCenter?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hello @Sebastian.Koehler ,

DP version is 10.04 and Vmware and vCenter version is 6.5. 

There is no error on power just saying power on failed. 

Regards,

Nipu Datta

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Nipu Datta,

Please look into the vCenter activity panel while the PowerOn is performed. You should see something more specific there. This is the important part.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I have uploaded the image of error, could you please look on the images?

Regards,

Nipu Datta

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Nipu Datta,

During PowerOn, can you see that the NFS share with the VM backup files are exported from the backup host to an ESXi host and mounted properly? This is usually really quick and I don't know a way to Interrupt it. From the error message either the vmx file has a problem or is not found at all.

What is the backup device (SmartCache, StoreOnce, Data Domain)? Is the backup proxy Windows or Linux? Do you see this problem with all kind of VMs? Has this ever worked for you? I can tell you that Power On works pretty well on more recent versions of Data Protector than 10.04.

You can have a look at the documentation that includes a few configuration requirements.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.08/VMwareIntegration#Power_On_and_Live_Migrate

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Dear @Sebastian.Koehler ,

Thanks for the response.

Let me describe the situation, here we have take backup of a VM through vCenter from the cluster named: DCBACHCLUSTER which have 3par LUN (Datastores X ). We want to restore that VM in the other cluster Named: DCMZCLUSTER in that same vCenter which have 3par LUN (Datastore A).

N.B: If we restore that Vm in their original location then it is working fine without any problem.

Regards,

Nipu datta  

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Nipu Datta,

This helps, thanks! We're not talking about a Data Protector PowerOn operation, you are having problems to power on a VM after restore. To recap it works fine if you restore to the original location, but it fails if you do the restore to a different cluster/datastores.

Is the target vCenter/ESXi running the same VMware version or is it different? It it is lower, this might cause the problem. The VM seems to have registered correctly. Are the hardware details correct? Have you tried to adjust the operating system option in the VM properties in vCenter? According to the error message this value is not defined.

Please download the vmx file from the source and target datastore and compare them.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Lieutenant Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Both the cluster in the same vCenter and all ESXI version is same.

I will check the vmex file let you know the update.

Regards,

Nipu Datta

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.