Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Cannot connect to media server

Running DP 10.04  Cell Manager on a Windows 2016 box.  The Cell Manager can no longer connect to a media server  on a Linux RHEL 7.4  box running  DP 10.03 .

When I tried to run a backup to the media server I saw:

"IPC Cannot Connect" 

This connection used to work and I've been told that there are no Firewalls between the boxes.   

I am able to ssh to the Linux box as myself.   Suggestions on what else I should try  to get the Cell Manager to see the media server ?  Thanks.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Cannot connect to media server

Hello @wbrunc

Try to reconfigure the secure comm between both servers with this command: 

• From MA: omnicc -secure_comm -reconfigure_peer CMNAME
  • From CM: omnicc -secure_comm -reconfigure_peer MANAME

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Here's the output. Note all of my DP systems are in the same domain. The command seems to have worked from the MS but not the CM.

From Powershell on the CM:

PS C:\Users\dp_srv> omnicc -secure_comm -reconfigure_peer media-server-fqdn
Host 'media-server-fqdn' exported from secure configuration successfully.
Error getting certificate from the peer 'media-server-fqdn'.

IPC Cannot Connect
System error: [10060] Connection timed out
(media-server-fqdn:5565)
PS C:\Users\dp_srv>

From ssh on the MS:

[root@media-server ~]# omnicc -secure_comm -reconfigure_peer cell-manager-fqdn
Host 'cell-manager-fqdn' exported from secure configuration successfully.
- Please use the fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
Certificate information:
- Hostname:cell-manager-fqdn
- Valid: from Mar 5 22:58:10 2018 GMT until Mar 2 22:58:10 2028 GMT
- Fingerprint: 66:79:33:ce:18:64:58:9e:e8:03:f3:5c:03:af:ac:29:1f:52:9c:d4:70:b4:bb:a2:84:a7:5e:b7:3d:af:39:e3
Do you want to continue (y/n)?y
Host 'cell-manager-fqdn' configured for secure configuration successfully.
[root@media-server ~]#

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Looks like certificate in the Media Server is not in a good state. 

Confirm that CM can connect to the media server via telnet to port 5565: telnet media-server-fqdn 5565 

If the connection is good, probably the issue is the certificate in the Media Server. You can regenerate it with this command: omnicc -secure_comm -regenerate_cert
Make sure that you run it only in the MA. If you run it in the CM will cause problems with the rest of the clients. 

Regards,

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Could it be a telnet issue?  When I  telnet  from the Cell Manager to the Media Server on port 5565, I get no prompt back and the connection just closes. I should get a telnet> prompt , right ? 

However, when I ssh to the Media Server , and check the port itself, it looks like the port is listening.

[root@media-server ~]# netstat -tanp |grep 5565
tcp6 0 0 :::5565 :::* LISTEN 2114/xinetd

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

To add to my confusion ,  I get on the Media Server and the telnet package doesn't exist  ( rpm -qa |grep telnet ) . Should it ?  This Media Server used to work . 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @wbrunc

The telnet is not mandatory but is a good test. 

The correct answer for telnet should be like this: 

[root@server1~]# telnet server2 5565
Trying 192.72.67.45...
Connected to server2.
Escape character is '^]'.
Micro Focus Data Protector A.10.04: INET, internal build 182, built on Monday, May 21, 2018, 3:14 PM
Connection closed by foreign host.
[root@server1~]#

If you do not have telnet, you can use this command to test the connection also: 

cat < /dev/tcp/servername/portnumber

Example: 

[root@server1 ~]# cat < /dev/tcp/server2/5565
Micro Focus Data Protector A.10.04: INET, internal build 182, built on Monday, May 21, 2018, 3:14 PM
[root@server1 ~]#

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

The Cell Manager is a Windows box. The Media Server is a Linux box.

From Powershell on the Cell Manager  I ran:

PS C:\Windows\system32> telnet media-server 5565
Connecting To media-server...Could not open connection to the host, on port 5565: Connect failed
PS C:\Windows\system32>

If I don't have telnet on the Linux Media Server, please give me an example of the command I could run from the Cell Manager ( Windows ) to test the Linux Media Server which doesn't have telnet.

PS C:\Windows\system32> cat /dev/tcp/media-server/5565
cat : Cannot find path 'C:\dev\tcp\media-server\5565' because it does not exist.
At line:1 char:1
+ cat /dev/tcp/media-server/5565
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\dev\tcp\media-server\5565:String) [Get-Content], ItemNotFoundExcep
tion
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @wbrunc

The cat command test is only to run in Linux servers. 

Telnet is not needed to be installed in the Linux client, the answer we received from a telnet command is from xinetd/inetd when connects. 

The telnet (or any other test to Inet port) is to confirm that connection is open between both servers. The correct output of the telnet should be the DP version in the other client and then close the connection. 
In your case looks like you have a connectivity problem between these two servers: 

PS C:\Windows\system32> telnet media-server 5565
Connecting To media-server...Could not open connection to the host, on port 5565: Connect failed
PS C:\Windows\system32>

Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @wbrunc,

Check the firewall on the Linux Media Server. If you don't want to use telnet on the Cell Manager for connection testing, you could use the Powershell command Test-NetConnection -Port 5555 -ComputerName MediaServer -InformationLevel Detailed or the openssl command that comes with Data Protector openssl s_client -connect MediaServer:5565 which will also show the remote SSL certificate.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.