cccben808 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot import client to cell manager at DP7.0

Hi All,

I restore a image from a server that using DP 7.00 patch 107.

but now our cell manager is DP 7.00 patch 72.

The problem is, when I uninstall windows client(Disk Agent) that using DP 7.00 patch 107 and reinstall a new DP 7.00 patch 72 to windows client.

After reinstall I cannot import this windows client into cell manager.

Cell manager can telnet to windows client 5555 and when install windows client it can receive respont from cell manager.

Cell manager: HP-UX 

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
2 Replies
Honored Contributor.. Gamut Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Cannot import client to cell manager at DP7.0

Have you tried without fiddling with patches? Often, Data Protector works just fine with differences in patches. In fact, sometimes major version can differ. Just give it a try.

If it still does not work: we do not have crystal balls: we generally cannot solve a problem based on "it does not work". If you ask a general question, you can only receive a general answer. Try to be specific, tell us what your sort of troubleshooting you did etc etc. Paste output of commands/error messages. The exact command and the exact error message would be very helpful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
dimmm_2000 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: Cannot import client to cell manager at DP7.0

I do not think the patch level has something to do with this failure.

Most of the times I have seen this problem it is due to:

1. Another service running on port 5555 on the client. You can check this with netstat -an | strfind 5555. 

If there is such service the telnet will still return HPE Data Protector INET, but the import will fail. 

In other words: telnet localhost 5555, telnet <Other host> 5555 executed from both CM and client should return HPE Data Protector INET. This is a proof the service is running and listenning on the port.

2. Hostname resolution - DP is very sensitive to this. Check if the CM and the client resolve each other by FQDN - from both execute: ping <FQDN of other host>. If the ping does not work put a record in the hosts file in the following order: <IP> <FQDN> <Short name>. Even if the hosts are resolved with DNS server DP will check the hosts file if the DNS resolution does not work. 

3. It is not clear if this is the only Windows host in the cell, but if you have a Windows Installation Server, try to "Add" instead of "Import". Adding will run an installation session with messages and will give you some idea about the error. Import does not print any messages.

4. Finally DP keeps the name of the Cell Manager in the registry and you can check if it is properly put. Very often I have seen the Error: Client is already member of another cell due to the hostname resolution (cell manager resolved by shortname instead of  FQDN). On the CM execute: omnidbutil -show_cell_name and make sure it is the same on the client in: regedit - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - Hewlet-Packard- OpenView - OmniBackII - Site.

What I would do is to uninstall the DP from the client and install the client locally. During the installation process you can put the name of the CM and check if it responds. But hostname resolution should work and it is the reason for such failure in 99% of the times.

If nothing helps you can try to check the debugs yourself: execute: omnicc -import_host <HostnameOfClient> -debug 1-500 import.txt

Check the debug directory which is by defaul - for UNIX /tmp and for Win Program Data\Omniback\tmp (I do not think there will be something on the client, but check it anyway).

Search the debugs for the error you are getting and scroll up a bit to hopefully find the reason.

DP 7.xx is not supported for a long time now so swithing to 9.xx will be a good idea.

Good luck.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.