ed_for Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot perform copy operation due to minimum number of devices not large enough

Jump to solution

Hi All, 

We are running in this issue with our copy Jobs. One SQL DB backup failed to be copied to tape with Error: 

[64:25]  Cannot perform copy operation due to minimum number of devices not large enough.
Minimum number of devices is 1, required 6.

the concurrency set for the job is Max concurrent to 4 

We were hoping the issue woud go away with DP9, bu **bleep** does not seem to be the case. I found: 

http://community.hpe.com/t5/Data-Protector-Practitioners/DP-Support-Tip-64-25-Cannot-perform-copy-operation-due-to/td-p/6859233

Did anyone else have a fix for this issue? 

Many Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cannot perform copy operation due to minimum number of devices not large enough

Jump to solution

Indeed this is the solution. As I said earlier, changing the backup is key to success. You could use concurrency 2 on the MSSQL backup in case you have 2 drives for Object Operation (Min 1/Max 2) operation available. If you only have 1 drive you need to use concurrency 1 on the MSSQL backup.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cannot perform copy operation due to minimum number of devices not large enough

Jump to solution

Hi ed_for,

the problem is with the source backup. If you don't change the source, the copy will not work.

This was not different in previously releases. If you perform a MSSQL backup to 6 devices in parallel (with MSSQL concurrency set to 6) you cannot simply multiplex the 6 parallel created data streams to one drive. The reason for the error is the ensure restore from copy will also work. The integration agent needs to read all 6 streams in parallel.

I can tell you HPE is working heavily on this topic after several enhancement requests submitted.

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM01532649
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM01882668

What is the Data Protector version (omnisv -version), MSSQL version and backup device for source and target (including used concurrency and load balancing settings)?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
ed_for Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian, 

Thank you for the reply. 

Indeed I have seen the HPE Docs. But the issue for me is that the backup concurrency is already set to 4. Despite of the correct settings the issue still is happening. 

DP A.09.07, internal build 109, for client and server.

Many Thank

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Please confirm that MSSQL backup concurrency is 4 and at least 4 devices are used during backup. Copy should be performed to a single tape device with a concurrency of 4 or higher. Have you ever tried with concurrency 1 on the MSSQL backup?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
ed_for Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Yes the backup concurrency is 4 and the concurency on the tape drives is currently set to 8 ( I have changed that up, but the same error).  4 tape drivers (as the MSL limit) 

no we havent changed the backup. We need the concurrency of 4 for speed of the backup ( it would take days to complete).

But if you tell me that this woudl be the work around I guess one weekend a month that can be done in order to keep the tapes and restore available.

let me know 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Indeed this is the solution. As I said earlier, changing the backup is key to success. You could use concurrency 2 on the MSSQL backup in case you have 2 drives for Object Operation (Min 1/Max 2) operation available. If you only have 1 drive you need to use concurrency 1 on the MSSQL backup.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
ed_for Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks Sebastian, 

it worked! change the concurrency of the backup from 4 to 2 did the trick. 

the copy job is now running sending the backup to tape.

Thank you for the help!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.