Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. igodzin Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Cannot remove Data Protector medium. Export the medium first after change cell name

Jump to solution

after migrating to new hardware and changing cell name  i cannot restore form tape as i got "Cannot remove Data Protector medium. Export the medium first." 

Need a help to resolve it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Cannot remove Data Protector medium. Export the medium first after change cell name

Jump to solution

Hello @igodzin

Confirm the owner of the mediums with problems running this command: 

[root@cmname ~]# omnimm -media_info FL_MediaPool_16 -detail

MediumID : bc0f0a0a:5c464787:b8fc:0009
Pool name : FL_MediaPool
Library : FL
Medium Label : FL_MediaPool_16
Medium Owner : cmname.domain
Used blocks [KB] : 34816
Total blocks [KB] : 5242880

If is still the old name of the CM, you have two option: 

1. Run this command to change the information of the MMDB to the new name: omnidbutil -change_cell_name OldHostname
  2. Recycle the tape, then export and reimport the catalog. 

I will recommend the first option. 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
14 Replies
Super Contributor..

Re: Cannot remove Data Protector medium. Export the medium first after change cell name

Jump to solution

Forgot to add that DP is 9.09. Plus tapes are permanent protected  and when i try to export it said " Tape is protected and cannot be exported".

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @igodzin

Confirm the owner of the mediums with problems running this command: 

[root@cmname ~]# omnimm -media_info FL_MediaPool_16 -detail

MediumID : bc0f0a0a:5c464787:b8fc:0009
Pool name : FL_MediaPool
Library : FL
Medium Label : FL_MediaPool_16
Medium Owner : cmname.domain
Used blocks [KB] : 34816
Total blocks [KB] : 5242880

If is still the old name of the CM, you have two option: 

1. Run this command to change the information of the MMDB to the new name: omnidbutil -change_cell_name OldHostname
  2. Recycle the tape, then export and reimport the catalog. 

I will recommend the first option. 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

i think i will go with option 2 as my DP is running 24x7 and with change _cell_name other jobs can fail.

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

i was trying to recycle and it failed. it doesn't recycle protected tape. it doesn't matter what cell name is.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
What error do you receive?
Try to use the command: omnimm -recycle Medium
Andres Fallas Salazar

Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

i did recycle the tapes and ran import catalog after (running about 24 hours on LTO6) but now it still showed the old cell name and usage as empty. i did export this tape and then start import.  iand now during import it said:

Import failed with possible cause:

this media already has valid copy in DB.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The best recommendation here is to change the CM name using the command: omnidbutil -change_cell_name

Is possible that IDB is still under the old name. To confirm: omnidbutil -show_cell_name

Also, the error after the second import is normal, if the medium is imported cannot be imported again. What you can do is an Import Catalog. 

Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Victor,

is it possible to change cell name during other backups running?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
I do not recommend so.
Follow these steps: https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.02/SysPrepMaintenanceTasks#Change_the_Cell_Manager_name
Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

i did these steps in order as i cannot change cell name:

1.recycle the tape.

2. export the tape

3. import  tape. i got errors : Import failed with possible cause:
this media already has valid copy in DB. and tape was not added to new cell.
I found out that if you abort the job during import the tape and redo the import job it will work prperly and bring tjhe tape to new cell. 

Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

hi Victor,

is it possible to change programatticaly cell name for tapes in the catalog and DB. it is very time consuming process to recycle, export and import every tape. just to scan 1 tape it takes 24hours.

if i knew all this problems i would migrate server with the same name as old one.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
As mentioned before, the best way to do that without all this process, is running the omnidbutil -change_cell_name.
This command migrates all the DB to the new name.
Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

HI,

i did run again omnidbutil -change_cell_name xxxxwpdpbkp02, but when i look at the tapes in media pool, it still shows old pool name  xxxxwpdpbkp01.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @igodzin

The only idea I have right now is to modify the IDB directly. 

You will need to run this command: omnidbutil -writedb Path. 

Then, in the files created in that directory, you will need to open them and modify the values that refer to the old CM and change it to the new CM name.

Then load these modifications: omnidbutil -readdb Path

I will recommend you to run an IDB  backup before the procedure. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.