New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Cannot unload Exchanger medium 1117

Hello !

In two environments that the customer change the LTO4 to LTO7 MSL 2024 SAS the backups now are presenting the following error:

"Cannot unload exchanger medium ([1117] The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

One environment is in 9.06 and other in  the 9.08_113, but both have the same behavior.

-----------
Please assign Kudos
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Looking at your query, I think this has to go as a support issue and so what I will recommend for now is to log a HPE SW DP case and the next available DP support can handle/assists on this one.

For now, what I can suggest is to collect details on this MA issue so that things can be checked.

Let me lists.

1. DP GR patches - need to get the following :

omnicheck -patches -host <CM HOSTNAME>

omnicheck -patches -host <MA HOSTNAME>

I know you have the latest 9.08_113 but better to get the above CLI output

2. Device configuration - need to check that they are in order, specifically the HW path.

omnidownload -list_device -detail

omnidownload -list_libraries -detail

omnidownload -dev_info

=> omnidownload gives info on what was configured in DP specific to your devices.

- login to MA server

devbra -dev

IMPORTANT NOTE :
- run devbra on the Media Agent
- run devbra ONLY when the LIBRARY and DRIVES are FREE/IDLE/NOT IN USE

=> devbra is real-time query and gives info on the HW - model, SN and most important is HW path.

The devbra output is checked/compared with omnidownload to make sure they match and that everything is in-order.

3. Backup Error - collect full session report

omnidb -sess <SESS_ID> -report

Need to get details on this error, including the timestamp. Need to check the exact error messages and which device is involved.

4. debug.log @ MA server

Need to check the DP log file for any info that may help.

The above is what DP Support would ask when troubleshooting your SW support case.

Key points :

- change the LTO4 to LTO7 MSL 2024 SAS 

- the backups now are presenting the following error: "Cannot unload exchanger medium ([1117] The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

I am suspecting some configuration problem - particular on the HW path and so better to have things checked.

It is pointing to the robotics device and so this is the one that will need to be checked on the library side.

ADDITIONAL RECOMMENDATION - do run tests outside of DP - using OS or HW utility, try to move tapes from slot to drive, and then drive back to slot.  

If this is good, then this is something on the DP side.

If this OS/HW tests fail with the same error, then this needs to be checked/fixed first on the OS- and HW-level.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP SUPPORT

Sherman Senin
Customer Support Engineer, APJ
Data Protector
Micro Focus
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.