Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Cell manager - TAPE and VTL configuration on physical server

Jump to solution

Hi,

This is my first post on DP community. i need some advise to setup my new environment.

my env.

2 physical servers  [RHEL 6.8]

MSL TAPE 6480

VTL Storeonce

i am advised to setup active and passive DP cell manager and tape , VTL would present to the same physical servers but i am wondering if it could give high availablity if active cell manager is offline due to any hardware failure and how i will switch over to passive node and set the devices path?

in current scnerio , i have only 2 ports on each physical server [total 4 ports] and i am not sure if it is good practice to mix  3par SAN disk [OS/application], TAPE, VTL together on same ports unless i would have 2 additional ports for VTL and tape.

can anyone suggest any other scenerio which would make more sense ?

many thanks,

DP

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi dpx,

instead of doing a mirror between a local disk and a SAN LUN I would recommend doing proper IDB and file system backups of the Cell Manager. But this is up to you.

You can install the VEPA agent on any supported Windows or Linux host. This could be a Cell Manager, but any other client will also work. The VEPA agent is used as the backup proxy. It reads the VM data either via Network (NBD, NBDSSL from the ESXi service console network) or via SAN (in case VMFS data stores are exported to the host where the VEPA agent is installed). There is a thrid option, where VEPA is installed on a VM. In that case Hotadd (VMDKs added to the VM while backup is done) is used. If the VEPA host is a VM you can only write to StoreOnce via LAN (StoreOnce Catalyst over IP, iSCSI VTL, CIFS/NFS).

Make sure the VEPA host has enough power to read and write the data. Having plenty of fast CPU Cores and Memory helps.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi dpx,

I have a few questions before I would even try to answer your questions or propose something.

1. Are you going to implement a clustered Cell Manager/Media agent? What cluster stack are you going to use?
2. Are you going to use StoreOnce with Catalyst or VTL? I would recommend StoreOnce Catalyst for new implementations unless you want to configure hundreds of devices.
3. Have you purchases any additional software licenses for the MSL6480 such as data path/control path failover?
4. What network connections are available on the physical servers?
5. What data is being backed up? How are the backup clients attached to SAN/LAN?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi  Sebastian,

Let me try to answer one by one.

1. Are you going to implement a clustered Cell Manager/Media agent? What cluster stack are you going to use?

No, because i need service guard cluster application on linux which costs a license.

2. Are you going to use StoreOnce with Catalyst or VTL? I would recommend StoreOnce Catalyst for new implementations unless you want to configure hundreds of devices.

Good question, but i am not sure which option is the best.

3. Have you purchases any additional software licenses for the MSL6480 such as data path/control path failover?

No, so in this case , i wouldn't have multipath or failover situation.

4. What network connections are available on the physical servers?

I have 2 blade servers {ProLiant BL460c Gen9 } and each of blade has 2*10G interface and i am thinking to implement LACP [not sure yet].

5, What data is being backed up? How are the backup clients attached to SAN/LAN?

Good question :

Most of servers are in virtual environment but i would say like less than 20% are physical servers.

current environment ::

382 configured host[s].    376 installed Disk Agent[s].    305 installed Media Agent[s].

82 installed Oracle Integration[s].  25 installed MS SQL Integration[s].    31 installed MS Volume Shadow Copy Integration[s].

I'm not sure how i can implement SAN based backup in virutal environment. Please suggest.

Many thanks,

DPX

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi dpx,

based on your initial question I had expected you're building a two-node cluster for Data Protector. SGLX is the best solution for that. If you don't need Extended Distance cluster (3PAR Remote Copy or Software Mirroring for the Disks) Serviceguard Base will be enough and is absolutely affordable.

HPE Serviceguard for Linux A.12.00.50
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11518_div/11518_div.html

A cold standby will also work. If you use Virtual Connect to assign virtual MACs/WWNs to the NICs/HBAs and store Operating System and IDB on SAN volumes. Then you could just failover the server profile to a similar server in case something breaks. Be prepared to restore operating system (EADR offline restore) and IDB in case something goes terribly wrong with the storage array.

If you don't have a StoreOnce Catalyst license, you should get one. The protocol does support Ethernet and Fibre Channel connectivity and made most VTL implementations obsolete. The deep integration in Data Protector is the best available option.

Instead of using LACP I would go for bonding mode 6 (ALB). It is more robust and provides better bandwidth utilization in a few scenarios.

SAN-based backup for virtual environments can be implemented quickly using the VEPA agent. If you decide to zone and export the VMFS data stores to the host where the VEPA agent resides it will automatically use SAN transport (instead of NDBSSL).

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - i do appriciate it.

What i understand here that i have 2 options either i will go with cluster based configuration or with cold standby option [ but i will check if i would be able to get license for service guard otherwise would go with option Virtual connect.

well so far i have put OS and CM -IDB on 3par SAN disks but not sure if it would make sense to mirror SAN disks [OS] with HP smart Raid-1 disks - to avoid restore operating system -in case 3par goes offline.

Again , i need to re-think if i should go with LACP or mode 6 (ALB) - to avoid bottlenecks on Ethernet interface.

VEPA :: here i got some doubts.

where i will install VEPA agents - i mean on cell manager or on vcenter server or on other backup host [sorry to ask this dump question] which option is the best.

2nd thing,   {zone and export the VMFS data stores to the host  ??? where the VEPA agent resides }

to the host - you mean - Physical server where cell manager is installed ? or other server ?

could you please elaborate little bit this configuration?

Many Thanks,

DPx

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi dpx,

instead of doing a mirror between a local disk and a SAN LUN I would recommend doing proper IDB and file system backups of the Cell Manager. But this is up to you.

You can install the VEPA agent on any supported Windows or Linux host. This could be a Cell Manager, but any other client will also work. The VEPA agent is used as the backup proxy. It reads the VM data either via Network (NBD, NBDSSL from the ESXi service console network) or via SAN (in case VMFS data stores are exported to the host where the VEPA agent is installed). There is a thrid option, where VEPA is installed on a VM. In that case Hotadd (VMDKs added to the VM while backup is done) is used. If the VEPA host is a VM you can only write to StoreOnce via LAN (StoreOnce Catalyst over IP, iSCSI VTL, CIFS/NFS).

Make sure the VEPA host has enough power to read and write the data. Having plenty of fast CPU Cores and Memory helps.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---

View solution in original post

Absent Member..
Hi sebastian,
Thank you for sharing valuable thoughts. Your explanation has cleared my doubts.
Thanks indeed,
Cheers
Dpx
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.