ruudsmtis Contributor.
Contributor.

Change protection after job

Hi,

got a question. Perhaps a dumb one 😉

I have a schedule for a SQL server and this is protected for 31 days.

How can I protect this backup job at the end of the month automaticly for 52 weeks.

Rather then creating a new job.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Honored Contributor.. Gamut Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Change protection after job

It is not a dumb question. but it is a question without a decent answer.

Data Protector (at least DP 9) with the "normal scheduler" (not the "advanced scheduler") does not a way to accomplish your goal via the GUI. Yet it is possible..

Try reading http://www.syncer.de/?p=242. The basic idea is: schedule your end of month backup on the last seven days (by day of month number) with your desired protection and then exclude all but one day (by day name).

Note: schedule your end of month backup on a different time than your regular backup, otherwise the excludes will probably prevent your not-end-of-month-backups to run.

Ugly? Yes, I do think so, too.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Gamut Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

FWIW: I am using a different strategy, but I consider it not advisable as it involves scripting, However, perhaps you or other readers like it.

My solution is: schedule all full backups with your high/end-of-month retention. After the month is over, determine what the last full is (based on "Start Time_t" column). For all full backups that are not the last full of the month, change data protection and catalog protection to the low/weekly retention.

Downside: scripting/parsing required, for instance omnirpt

Upside: the schedule is very simple and (because I work in a team), my colleagues are still allowed to reset the schedule if they need to reschedule the backup to an earlier of later time.

0 Likes
Established Member.. optonic
Established Member..

thx for the quick responses.

Going to take a look into this.

0 Likes
Established Member.. optonic
Established Member..

We are using DP9.06 at this moment

have never worked with the advanced scheduler.

For now I setup a copy job at the end ot the month and can use the manual adjusted job schedule like you mentioned.

Any experiences with the new DP 10 version?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.