Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
afiqraman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Changing media pool using omnib command line

I would like to change my backup job media pool. From what i have gathered the command to use is as below

omnib -filesystem Client:MountPoint Label -device BackupDevice [MIRROR_OPTIONS...] [GENERAL_OPTIONS] [FILESYSTEM_OPTIONS] [-public]

I can see the option to change pool under GENERAL_OPTIONS, but what do I put in for the Client, MountPoint, Label? Could anyone give me a working example for the command above?

0 Likes
6 Replies
AlesKol Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Changing media pool using omnib command line

Hi,

Command you are referring to “omnib” will trigger backup. I suggest using GUI if you are not familiar with DP CLI usage.

• Go to backup context and check you backup specification and what device it is using
  • Go to device and media context and modify device you are using in a way that will suit your needs and available hardware.

Hope this helps & Regards AlesKol

0 Likes
afiqraman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi AlesKol,

I know and understand how to do it using GUI. No issue there. But right now I'm in a situation  where I need to change my media pool on weekly basis. I would prefer to do that instead of having to create 4 different job pointing to 4 different pool.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi afiqraman,

I don't really see why you would 'not' create 4 different backup specs for this. It sounds like you want to use 4 different pools ... that was your original request: how to change the media pool. So, if you have 4 different pools then just copy your existing datalist, change the media pool and the schedule and you're done!

Regarding "Client:MountPoint Label", this triplet is what defines the object. In the GUI, you can find this in the Backup Object Summary tab as Client, Source and Description. There are plenty of examples in the omnidb manual page also.

Koen

0 Likes
AlesKol Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

I am not sure what would you like to achieve? With omnib command you will trigger only one backup. How is this better than have it scheduled?

I would suggest creating backup spec and not scheduling it -> now you can call “omnib -datalist”.

Anyway: “Client:MountPoint Label” would stand for “dataprotector.client.com:/tmp myLabel” for an example.

Regards AlesKol

0 Likes
afiqraman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I was thinking of trying to use one backup job and just change the media pool using command line and task scheduler for different weeks.

0 Likes
afiqraman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

my bad, I thought the omnib is some sort of command to set or edit a backup job.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.