UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Lieutenant Commander Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Continuous growth of the db80/dbcf folder.

Hi members,

Since we upgraded to version 10.8 , I noticed that the size of the dbcf folder is increasing. In the last month and a half, its size has grown by 20 gigabytes.

I want to stop this growth.
How can I do this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @karesz55,

What was the old version of Data Protector you have been using before? The DCBF directories contain the catalog data so if you create more backups and especially keep them for an extended period of time this might be expected. Also if you have started using new tapes or backup devices and have not removed the old one.

In general, there is a daily DCBF purge which works good in 10.80 based on my experience.

You could run omnidbutil -orphan_dcbf which will produce two *.csv files in the current working directory and show information if you have stale DCBFs on disk and has the option to delete them. If the referenced number of DCBFs is just fine you should check if the data protection of media in Devices & Media is as expected. If you have permanent data or media that you don't need for restore anymore, export them to free up space.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Lieutenant Commander Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Hello @Sebastian.Koehler ,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I ran the omnidbutil -orphan_dcbf command but did not list a deletable dbcf path.

What can I do then?

Isn't it possible that a setting (logging or whatever) is turned on somewhere that increases the size of the folder?

I would like to stop the folder from growing.

Additional information: We have a server on which we store a lot of small files and it is constantly growing,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @karesz55,

Log All is the default setting and must be used on backups where you want to see individual files and folders for single item restore in the GUI. So if you suspect that a backup of a single server is causing this and you really don't need that granularity for restore you can change the backup spec to Log Dir or Log None.

If you don't know where this is coming from and have a few very big DCBFs causing this, then you can search for the largest and trace back the related media using this step. Here is an example for this.

If the DCBF is called 28c819ac_5ffd2cd4_1124_1f7b_4C4E2A60.dat this translates to MediaID 28c819ac:5ffd2cd4:1124:1f7b. Then use omnimm -media_info 28c819ac:5ffd2cd4:1124:1f7b to see what media it is and the related backup session from the GUI.

Larger DCBFs are expected for backups containing large file systems and Object Copies. Don't just change from Log All to something else unless you're absolutely sure about the consequences. Data Protector can only display information logged to the IDB.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.