ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.

DATA PROTECTOR: Coexistence with Operations Agent and Server Automation

The SUMA, nor any support matrix, nor technical support can tell me what version of Data Protector, the Operations Agent and the Server Automation agent can coexist on a typical Windows, Linux and UNIX server.

They all leverage the old HP Shared Component (XML), which is why I am asking.

Does anyone happen to know?

Thank you!

~ OpenView Mike

Best Regards,

~ Michael "OpenView Mike" Stollery
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael, 

Haven't heard of any issue with co existence of DP with SA &/OR OA on same physical server,  however, there could be challenges with respect to resources @ memory, disk space, processor levels, which might need enough boost.

Also, if we are thinking on lines of integrations, Data Protector currently doesn't integrate with OA / SA, however, it does integrate with Operations Orchestration

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2020.08/OOIntegration

You may want to log new request towards this via IDEAs Portal @

https://community.microfocus.com/t5/Data-Protector-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/DP_Ideas

Hope this helps

Regards

Devang Shah

Thanks & Best Regards

Devang Shah

Solutions Support Engineer
Data Protector Certified Professional, Administrator
Micro Focus
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike.

Which 'XML component' do you have in mind specifically? I'm unable to recall any packages that DP shares with other products and more information will help me understand this better. As an example, DP uses its own Java and OpenSSL components, independent of what is installed on a given server. In that light, I wouldn't expect there to be 'cross-talk' interference but I'm open to surprises. 🙂

Thanks,

Shishir

I am not trying to integrate anything.

DP, OA and SA are all on the same machines and we see issues.

I want to know what versions of these three agents are supported to coexist on Linux, Windows and UNIX.

That's it.

Best Regards,

0 Likes

HPOvAgtLc Operations Agent L10N Package 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvBbc HTTP Communication 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvConf Configuration 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvCtrl Process Control 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvDepl Deployment 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvEaAgt E/A Agent 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvPacc Performance Access 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvPerfAgt Performance Agent 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvPerfMI Measurement Interface 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvPerlA Perl 05.16.020 pkg Windows
HPOvSecCC Certificate Management Client 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvSecCo Security Core 12.06.007 pkg Windows
HPOvXpl Cross Platform Component 12.06.007 pkg Windows
Operations-agent Operations Agent Product 12.06.007 bdl Windows

This shows up as the HP Shared Service.

Best Regards,

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Mike.
I'll double check but I haven't come across any DP dependencies related to this component. With which DP version did you last see an issue in this context? Is it possible that OA and SA have issues but DP is independent of them?
Thanks,
Shishir
0 Likes

Data Protector v10.60.0.154 and Operations Agent v.12.06.

2020-12-04_19-34-50.png

Server Automation: v2018.08.

Please note the contents of the perl script that ships with the Operations Agent, to check for co-existence issues, and how both Data Protector and Server Automation are not included - I am shocked that Operations Bridge Reporter (OBR) and SiteScope (SiS) are not included, as SiS has to run a certain version of the OA to function, especially regarding integrations, and OBR comes with the OV Certificate Server (ovcs) which allows the remote poller for data collection to function, and most of the time the remote poller is not remote at all. It runs locally on the OBR Admin Server. Installation of the Operations Agent would break both of these tools.

###############################################################################
## FILENAME: OACompatibilityCheck.pl
## DESCRIPTION: perl script to check compatibility of Operations Agent with Operations Bridge Manager, Cloud Optimizer, Operations Connector,
## Network Node Manager, Operations Bridge Reporter and Operations Manager
## LANGUAGE: perl
##
# Copyright 2018 - 2019 Micro Focus or one of its affiliates.
###############################################################################

The shared component of the OA, as per the deployment XML:

<package>HPSharedComp.xml</package>

The Cross-Platform Component of the OA, also problematic, regarding co-existence issues, none of which is in the SUMA:

<deployinvpkg>HPOvXpl.xml</deployinvpkg>

Please note that the icon for the DP package is from HP/OpenView, circa 1997.

~ Mike

Best Regards,

Tags (6)
0 Likes

PS:

From the registry:

OMNIback-Registry.png

Best Regards,

Tags (4)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.