Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. RaajK Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DATA Protector NDMP backup using VDM

Hi,

I have an NDMP backup configurred on a physical data mover Server_2, however now a VDM (VDM_1) has been created under Server_2 and  need to configure another backup on the same cellera Network ( Server_ABC) server using the newly created VDM. 

Need  assistance  on the following, as for VDMs, could not find any info in  'DP-NDMP' guide.

1. Do I need to import the vdm_1 to data protector under client

2. Do I need to configure seprate Tape Drives in DP for backing up data on  vdm_1 or I can use same tape drives configured for Server_2.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DATA Protector NDMP backup using VDM

What is a VDM for those of us who are acronym-challenged

I don't wan to go too far in giving advice before I know the answer to that question

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

oops! soory for that. Its a Virtual Data Mover.

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I looked at several different documents for any reference to VDM and found nothing

- The NAS (Network-Attached Storace) support matrix

- The NDMP Integration Guode

However, when the did a search in Lab cases for 'VDM' I found several hits, among them this Object Listing

Object name : dm2ndmp.nosys.com:/root_vdm_10/fsnbadehomedir 'server_2 fsnbadehomedir'    

So, in my opinion, you can configure the backup of the VDM the same way that you configure any other NDMP backup, which starts off with Importing the NDMP Client into the cell if it is not already there

You should be able to use the same tape drive that you already have configured

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello BOB,

Thanks for your inputs, even I did not find any information on Virtual data movers in DP-NDMP guide, however trying my luck with the  " Configuring NDMP Backups on VNX Guide".

(Page # 136).

I hope it might help others as well.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Raaj.

While I'm not an expert in VDM's, based on my knowledge of DP's NDMP support, I think you'll need to allocate a separate tape library for your new VDM. Assuming that a VDM is just a standard data mover, it'll need to write to a local tape library, as DP doesn't support 3-way NDMP backups.

Regards,

Shishir

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.. CorMax Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Hi Raaj,

did you fix it?

You can backup filesystem mounted by you new VDM using "physical" server_2 DM. You just need to check mount point running following command:

server_mount ALL

Then, in Dataprotector backup job specify filesystem mount point as viewed by server_2 DM.

Hope this can help.

Max

0 Likes
Mass2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can only backup in standalone mode, cluster aware backups won't work, because they're not supported. Each node can backup shares which are signed to the node and each node has their own changer/tape drive attached. You will have to import each node to DP clients context and then do backups specification for each node and share which belongs to the node.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.