Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

DCBF usage and Creation of new DCBF

Jump to solution

I Have attached my DCBF directory details.

i could like to know the best practices for DCBF directory. current DCBF size is 27GB.

Do we need to create a new DCBF.

Detail Catalog Binary Files usage:

Diskspace Usage [MB] Size Limit [MB] DC Directory
=============================================================================================
26930 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf0
26914 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf1
26956 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf3
26945 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf4
27007 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
134751 1024000

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Looking at your "Detail Catalog Binary Files usage" stats info, I dont see any need to create a new DCBF - what you have is more than enough.

If in case (in the future) you need to create a new DCBF, you can follow the steps as per DP GUI => HELP. Search for "Creating a New DC Directory".

Best practices for DCBF directory - I think this should be under System Administrator. You can refer to this document for a more complete discussion on this topic.

HPE Data Protector
Administrator's Guide

Chapter 4: Internal Database

- Maintenance of DC Directories
- Reducing the IDB Growth
- Reducing the IDB Current Size
- Extending the IDB Size

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

DP Support

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

From DP 8.0x we use a different databse engine, with this new one is not necessary to extend or create DCBF directories manually it will be done automatically in case that more space will be needed.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

From DP 8.0x we use a different databse engine, with this new one is not necessary to extend or create DCBF directories manually it will be done automatically in case that more space will be needed.

@@JBasilio: that's not entirely true. While database engine was changed, DCBFs are kept outside the database and are hence subject to the same directory specifications as they were before 8.0. So it is necessary to create and/or extend DCBF directories to match your catalog growth.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Antaln

You are right let me explain better, when new postgreSQL database is created by default allocate 1TB for DCBF directories.

Detail Catalog Binary Files usage:

Diskspace Usage [MB] Size Limit [MB] DC Directory
=============================================================================================
26930 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf0
26914 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf1
26956 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf3
26945 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf4
27007 204800 /u00/varoptomni/server/db80/dcbf/dcbf2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
134751 1024000

Obviously DCBF size will be limited to free space into filesystem, by default 2GB therefore just in case where database size will be bigger than 1 TB will be necessary increase or create new DCBF directory.

In this specific scenario DP_user has used more or less 13% of DCBF size (keeping in mind free space for IDB volume), for to be honest since we use postgreSQL as database engine I never saw a case where was necessary expand or create new DCBF.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,

Looking at your "Detail Catalog Binary Files usage" stats info, I dont see any need to create a new DCBF - what you have is more than enough.

If in case (in the future) you need to create a new DCBF, you can follow the steps as per DP GUI => HELP. Search for "Creating a New DC Directory".

Best practices for DCBF directory - I think this should be under System Administrator. You can refer to this document for a more complete discussion on this topic.

HPE Data Protector
Administrator's Guide

Chapter 4: Internal Database

- Maintenance of DC Directories
- Reducing the IDB Growth
- Reducing the IDB Current Size
- Extending the IDB Size

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

DP Support

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.