Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Kirk1 Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

DP 10.0x IDB backup failure

The backup of the DP internal database fails if DP can not write simultaneously to both tape drives in our MSL2024 twin drive LTO7 tape library. This is a problem if a job, which is using one of the tape drives, overruns into the mid day IDB backup job.

Does anyone know the logic that DP 10.0x uses for assigning one or both tape drives, in an MSL2024 tape library, to perform a backup ?

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DP 10.0x IDB backup failure

Hi,

What is your "load balancing" MIN setting? Is it set to "2" maybe? You can check this in the GUI (Destination tab) or in the backup specification (barlist). Otherwise, how exactly is it failing? Can you paste the session report messages here?

Thanks,

Koen

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Koen

In  Backup>Backup Specification>Internal Database>Destination tab - load balancing is ticked, Min = 1  Max=5

In Internal Database>Sessions>Failed Session - the session message =

"No version of the backup objects in the Internal Database.

Information about the backup versions has been removed from the Internal Database"

Any suggestions ?

On a slightly different subject -

The current Product Version is 10.03 which i intend to upgrade shortly to 10.20 because of the issue with the server.log.xxxx-xx-xx files bloating to > 4GB - any issues with upgrading that I should be aware of ??

Cheers

Kirk

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I assume this problem is not related to the availability of 2 devices!?

Can you share the barlist (/etc/opt/omni/server/barlists/idb or <ProgramData>\OmniBack\Config\server\barlists\idb)?

Thanks, Koen

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Both tape drives are available but one is already in use when DP starts a backup of the IDB

ProgramData>\OmniBack\Config\server\barlists\idb reads as follows :-

BARLIST "Internal_Database"
GROUP "System"
DESCRIPTION "Daily Backup of DP Internal Database"
DYNAMIC 1 5
DEVICE "HP:Ultrium 7-SCSI_1_DP-mediaserver"
{
 -concurrency 8
 -rescan
 -sync
 -pool "System"
}

DEVICE "HP:Ultrium 7-SCSI_2_DP-mediaserver"
{
 -concurrency 8
 -rescan
 -sync
 -pool "System"
}

CLIENT "DPIDB" DP-cellmanager.domain1.network
{
 -exec postgres_bar.exe
 -args {
  "-n 16"
  "-backup"
 }
 -public
}  -protect weeks 4

Regards

Kirk

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi @Kirk1,

Usually there are two factors to consider, load balancing (Min/Max) and concurrency (per drive). From the backup spec have have Min 1/Max 5 configured with a concurrency of 8 each.

@Kirk1 wrote:

BARLIST "Internal_Database"
GROUP "System"
DESCRIPTION "Daily Backup of DP Internal Database"
DYNAMIC 1 5
DEVICE "HP:Ultrium 7-SCSI_1_DP-mediaserver"
{
 -concurrency 8
 -rescan
 -sync
 -pool "System"
}

DEVICE "HP:Ultrium 7-SCSI_2_DP-mediaserver"
{
 -concurrency 8
 -rescan
 -sync
 -pool "System"
}

CLIENT "DPIDB" DP-cellmanager.domain1.network
{
 -exec postgres_bar.exe
 -args {
  "-n 16"
  "-backup"
 }
 -public
}  -protect weeks 4

Regards

Kirk

This means each drive will accept up to 8 streams. The IDB backup agent supports this and you will see for example DatabaseFiles:1, DatabaseFiles2 etc during the session and as objectsd created. 

If you really need both drives to run at the same time change load balancing to Min 2/Max 2. I would only recommend this for very big IDBs (multiple-100 GBs). If not, use Min 1/Max 1.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Hi Koen

1. The current size of our IDB backup is approx 53GB, so I have reduced the load balancing on both tape drives to 1Min/1Max OK ?

2. Yes I have noticed the backup of the IDB includes the use of 69 disk agents (DatabaseFiles:0 thru 15 multiple times). Is this a problem or should I reduce the concurrency ?

3. Would you recommend enabling CRC in this specific backup specification, currently it is not ticked ?

Cheers Kirk

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi @Kirk1,

1. The current size of our IDB backup is approx 53GB, so I have reduced the load balancing on both tape drives to 1Min/1Max OK ?

Yes, 53GB is a reasonable size to continue with one drive only. This also makes sure that the IDB backup resides on tape making DR easy.

2. Yes I have noticed the backup of the IDB includes the use of 69 disk agents (DatabaseFiles:0 thru 15 multiple times). Is this a problem or should I reduce the concurrency ?

With that IDB size I would use concurrency of 2 or 4. Configure it on each tappe drive selected in the IDB backup job.

3. Would you recommend enabling CRC in this specific backup specification, currently it is not ticked ?

Hardware CRC is implemented in all LTO tape drives. There is no need to enable software CRC in Data Protector as this would slow down operation.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.