Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

DP 10.2 - Restoring Oracle from a Copy Job.

Jump to solution

Hi team

I would very much appreciate your input/clarification on this one,

We currently have our Oracle Integration backups working perfectly, with an automated post backup copy job which copies the data onto physcial media after the VTL backup.

We are trying to restore restore the data from a copy job and like the File system backups there is no 'copies' tab in the restore context. 

We have tried device redirection via the CLI method: 

NO_AUTO_DEVICE_SELECTION=1'; send channel 'dev_0' 'CHDEV=VTL_Device>Physical_Device.

But we see a mount request wherby the physical device is looking for a VTL media.

Is this even possible? and what would you recomnend to be the best way forward?

Many thanks 🙂 (fingers crossed)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: DP 10.2 - Restoring Oracle from a Copy Job.

Jump to solution

We managed to get this working by using the 'restoredev' text file method described in the Integration guide. Tape media with the object copies were then automatically selected and loaded for restore.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @JJJ,

Having no copies tab for backups other than type Filesystem is expected.

The restore issues you're seeing are not expected. Can you check for any of those Oracle objects in the database (the session you want to restore) if it lists two copies in the Media tab (Internal Database => Objects)?

What you describe will only happen if you try to replace a one device with another during the restore from the GUI (Devices tab). Is this the case?

Does the backup still exist on VTL and Tape? Forcing a specific restore media for integration restores must be done using location priority.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian, many thanks again for your support.

Yes all VTL backups and copy jobs are still within the IDB and still protected, so no issues there.

• When I view the media tab of one of backups sessions to VTL I see only the VTL media written to.
  • There is also a 'copies' tab if I check the properties of the of the backup up objects, this refences the copy job. session id.

.. So based on this it would appear all is well?

I think the -locationpriority option you mention having just done some research is definatey the way forward, just trying to work out the correc tsyntax before passing onto our DBA.

Thanks, will update you when we know more.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @JJJ,

@JJJ wrote:

.. So based on this it would appear all is well? 

Yes, this sounds allright. You can change the priority of Media by creating a new location in GUI (priority 1) and assign it to the relevant cartridges. Then Data Protector will request the right media.

Set the media location priority
https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:10.04/Admin/Media_Management/Media_functions_misc#Setthemedialocationpriority

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian

Having done a bit more reading around the URL there is a point which states:

• Media location priority does not consider copies obtained using the media copy functionality. Such a copy is used only if the original medium (the medium that was used as a source for copying) is unavailable or unusable.

So i'm not sureif this is going to allow us to restore our Oracle DB via a copy job? .. Unless I am reading this completely wrong.

Sometimes DP is rather frustrating, the simpliest of tasks for a file restore but the most complex of challenges for an Oracle DB restore! (rant over)

Thanks again

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @JJJ,

Media Copy is something totally different. I expect you're using Object Copy so this should be fine. I'm not aware of anyone still duplicating using Media Copy. Media Copy is a one to one copy operation where source and target media must have the same size.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian

I wanted to give you an update on this as we've not been having much luck.

I have explored the location priority and priority options you suggested .... to help us fulfil our original requirements which was to 'Restore an Oracle DB from Object Copy media'  (using either GUI or CLI).

Following a support ticket engagement, Micro Focus support have actually informed me that this is by design and not actually a support feature, and to raise an ER.

I find this very strange as the functionality is actually present with FS restores, and VEPA as far as I undersand.

Thanks.

0 Likes
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

We managed to get this working by using the 'restoredev' text file method described in the Integration guide. Tape media with the object copies were then automatically selected and loaded for restore.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.