Andy___H1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

DP 10.50 Turn off secure_comm?

Jump to solution

Hi,

We heard a comment at a Micro Focus event we went to a few weeks ago, and wanted to verify it is correct, or did we just mis-hear the comments.

Secure_comm options was bought in for DP 10 to allow for secure cell to host communications. It has caused us no-end of issues delaying our "unique" environment upgrades, but it was suggests this can now be turned off in the latest version of DP, 10.50. Is this correct, can the requirement to have secure_comm's be turned off in 10.50 like it was back in DP 9 and before?

I've had a look through the online manuals and just can't find the page which may tell me it can, or can't. 

Cheers,

Andy

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DP 10.50 Turn off secure_comm?

Jump to solution

Hello @Andy___H1

Honestly, I don't think that this is possible. Actually the biggest features in DP 10.50 are the security enhancements. 

Also, according to the documentation, all the communications are done in an encrypted way (with the secure comm configuration): 

"In Data Protector 2019.08 and later releases, all communications happen over Transport Security Later (TLS) protocol version 1.2."

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.08/EnableSecurity

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @Andy___H1

Honestly, I don't think that this is possible. Actually the biggest features in DP 10.50 are the security enhancements. 

Also, according to the documentation, all the communications are done in an encrypted way (with the secure comm configuration): 

"In Data Protector 2019.08 and later releases, all communications happen over Transport Security Later (TLS) protocol version 1.2."

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.08/EnableSecurity

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi

Yes you are right, you can disable\enable this feature during upgrade\installation wizard will ask about that or using omnicc command.

omnicc -secure_data_comm <Value> 

This option enables secure data communication. The <Value> is either 0 or 1. Default is 1. The "Client configuration" and "Security admin" user rights have to be enabled to use this option.

• <Value> of 0 disables secure data communication and sets the global variable "EnableSecureDataCommunication" to 0.
  • <Value> of 1 enables secure data communication and sets the global variable "EnableSecureDataCommunication" to 1.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @JBasilio

Correct me if I am wrong. But as I understand, the Secure Data Communication is the encryption in the data transfer between the DA and the MA. The Secure Comm is the encrypted control between the CM with MA and CM with DA. 

This is what I understand from here: https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.08/PlanBackupStrategy > Data Channel encryption. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello Victor

You are right my apologizes, I missunderstood the variable meaning.

Best Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.