Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
RanBax Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

DP 10 Scheduler Impressions

Jump to solution

I'm curious to hear what others think about the new DP 10 scheduler.

Personally, I hate it and feel it may be time consider replacing DP with a different product.  Given the problems already reported with this change, I'm in no hurry to deploy DP 10 to any of my production cells.

My 1st impression complaints:

1) The job schedule is no longer a tab on the specification definition; now it is a totally different screen/view that looks nothing like the GUI, and making it more difficult to visualize the schedule.

2) Job schedules must now be given a name.  This is ok, but at minimum new schedules should be pre-populated with the backup/copy/report name.  Why make it necessary to re-type, or copy a schedule name?

3) Since no CLI commands exist for manipulating schedules, scripts/editors could be leveraged with the old scheduler txt files.  Now that option is no longer available since schedules reside in the IDB. 

4) In my environment the scheduler fails to render correctly using IE (default browser on Server 2012 installations), the editing icons are invisible.

5) Once I've edited a schedule, I cannot edit a different schedule unless I close the GUI and relaunch, or reselect the cell from the cell selection dialog.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DP 10 Scheduler Impressions

Jump to solution

Thanks for your input.

1. That is understandable. On the other hand the day and month view of the schedule could make things easier than before.

2. Thanks for this input, makes sense.

3. CLI commands are planned to be introduced with 10.03.

4. Disable the "IE Enhanced Security Configuration", this issue is mentioned in the Admin Guide.

5. In case this still appears after doing the solution from 4., please open a support case for further investigation.

16 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Thanks for your input.

1. That is understandable. On the other hand the day and month view of the schedule could make things easier than before.

2. Thanks for this input, makes sense.

3. CLI commands are planned to be introduced with 10.03.

4. Disable the "IE Enhanced Security Configuration", this issue is mentioned in the Admin Guide.

5. In case this still appears after doing the solution from 4., please open a support case for further investigation.

Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

Having CLI commands to manipulate schedules will be a big help; hopefully the cli can be leveraged via scripts to make mass changes (if needed) or in the case where existing schedules do not migrate to v 10 successfully. 

Disabling the enhanced IE security feature did indeed fix the scheduler view.  I can also switch back and forth between the scheduler and backup configuration windows.

I've read that the scheduler still has issues, and I've been unable to determine if the follwowing is a known issue.

I setup two schedules for 'weeks' and set the schedule for each weekday except Tuesdays.  The monthly view shows 2 jobs scheduled on every day except Mondays.  I'm assuming the view is incorrect and the actual schedule is correct, but I guess I will see next week when it actually runs.

Needless to say, we'll stick with DP 9.09 while DP 10 matures a bit.   This new scheduler looks to have the potential to cause significant problems.

0 Likes
Highlighted
JRioux Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

It's been a nightmare for me since I upgraded to DP 10. The biggest problem is with the migration of the schedules to the IDB.

DP 9.05 --> DP 10.00 : All schedules lost because the migration script couldn't run, had to recreate all schedules by hand
DP 10.00 --> DP 10.01 : Lost all schedules again except the filesystem schedules, and when I tried to create a new schedule, I had the error "Internal server error".

DP 10.01 --> DP 10.02 : version 10.02 was supposed to fix this issue but didn't. The "Internal server error" ended up resolving itself magically a few days later, and I had to recreate all the missing schedules.

Now this week, all my schedules disappeared! For no reason! And whenever I recreated a new schedule it just disappeared a few seconds later. I had to apply an hotfix (DP1002_B308_QCCR2A77330_HF1) so the schedules doesn't disppears by themself and then restore the IDB to recover my schedules.

0 Likes
Established Member.. Kay Severin
Established Member..

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with the overview of the scheduler here. Unfortunately, I have already updated to DP 10.02. To make the scheduling clearer should I now use the CLI Commands?
Has the bussiness been involved and asked for best practice?
I would like to go back to DP 9xx. Is that possible ?

Best regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Kay,

@Kay Severinwrote:

I have the same problem with the overview of the scheduler here. Unfortunately, I have already updated to DP 10.02. To make the scheduling clearer should I now use the CLI Commands?

I would recommend to upgrade to 10.03 to get better overview and CLI functionality for scheduling.

@Kay Severinwrote:

I would like to go back to DP 9xx. Is that possible ?

Only if you have a valid backup of the Cell Manager prior to the upgrade and it is a manual rollback. Any newly created backups need to be imported afterwards. But this really depends on when the upgrade was performed.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Established Member.. Kay Severin
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for fast response. I will give DP 10.03 a try. Does DP 9xx work with LTO7 and NetApp OnTap Release 8.2.5P1?

Best Regards

Kay

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Kay,

Here are information from latest A.09.09_116 support matrix.

2018-04-04_12h39_03.png2018-04-04_12h41_24.png

Support Matrices for DP 9.0x
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM01029738

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
jgmoguel Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Return the old scheduler, accessible from the specification tab of the backup,, new web-based scheduler is a big mistake

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. Ankit Verma Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian,

I am running on version 10.03 but don't see any command line scheduling options available in this version. Can you please share the available options. 

Thanks

Ankit

0 Likes
geirolevee
Visitor.

Jump to solution

var.JPGYou are completely right about the DP scheduler in DP 10.  It looks as if it has been designed totally without communication with the real world.

I upgraded one of my customers today and found that administering the scheduling now has become some of a nightmare.  The conversion created/converted one schedule in version 9 into  7 schedules in version 10 for my MSSQL (Se screenshot).  It is impossible to get an overview over what each schedule actually does, and every time I go into one I have to start over again from the Backup edit pane to go into another.  There is now no place in the backup pane, I can see when next backup are run for all the backups.  It seems to be impossible to delete these seven schedules, I need to go into each one of them to delete one at the time.  There is no easy overview over when a trans backup and when a full backup is run: Yes, I regret very much doing this upgrade now.  Will not do any other customers until the scheduler gets in sync with what the real world would like.  A compatibility mode with the old scheduler would solve this, but I suppose that option is gone.  Unbelievable that a scheduler like this could find its way to release. It seems like there was no check with real life installations. 😞

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. Brendan_Reilly Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

The patch nodes for DP 10.20 are out and they mention the basic scheduler coming back:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2018.11/release_notes/whats_new

Scheduler improvements

With Data Protector 10.20 (2018.11), the Basic Scheduler is available for use. For those environments which are upgraded from Data Protector 8.1x and 9.0x, there is no schedule migration performed. However, the schedules can be migrated to the Web-based Scheduler using the omnidbutil command. See the omnidbutil -help CLI option for more details.

For environments which are already using the Web-based Scheduler, an option is provided to re-instate the Basic schedules. See the omnidbutil –help CLI option for more details.

And Basic Scheduler is the old per job scheduler we all know and love:

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2018.11/Use/Scheduler/CH_scheduling/basic_scheduler

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello all, 

Just to add a comment, the schedules created directly on the Web-Scheduler, with the reinstate command these are not reinstated and, if you use -force, will be deleted. 

So be careful with this process. 😄 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you MicroFocus for returning the Basic Scheduler......  Much appreciated!

0 Likes
RSacramento Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

I've Upgrade to 10.20 but my old 9.X schedules that have -exclude are not working

Anyone helse having this issue?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.