Absent Member.. Joseph P. Smith Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DP 6.0 Change in Filesystem protection not effective

Jump to solution
Good Morning,
Essentials:
HP-UX 11.23
DP 6.0 build 331

Originally the daily backup job's Filesystem Options - Protections was 5 weeks. Later, I changed to 20 days. Catalogue protection is same as data protection.

Presently In backup session "Data Protection" remains at 5 weeks. The problem is that the session logs indicate that the file system and media protection period has not changed to 20 days. I work around this by recycling media when it's time to reuse.

Media is placed in my "Daily Backup" media pool with Non-Appendable, Loose "Use free pool - Free Pool" and "Move free media to free pool" selected.

Am I mis understanding something or is there another switch I have to change? Thanks for your help. ,,, Joe S.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP 6.0 Change in Filesystem protection not effective

Jump to solution
media protection will indeed look like that (media will be protected until the longest protection expires).

the other objects may drop out of the catalog at the new time (20 days), while the one unchanged will stay 5 weeks
5 Replies
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Good Morning,

I kept hacking at this looking at some other posts for hints. I found an object in the backup spec (out of about 15) that had retained the old protection period. Would this have effected the "Data Protection" field for the entire backup?

I'll check the results from tonight's backup. If anyone can confirm this would have this effect, it would be appreciated. I will post results and give myself points (only kidding). ,,, Joe S.
0 Likes
Highlighted
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
media protection will indeed look like that (media will be protected until the longest protection expires).

the other objects may drop out of the catalog at the new time (20 days), while the one unchanged will stay 5 weeks
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Excellent ... Check this space in 24 hours! ,,, Joe S.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
The backup job's objects' and media data protection was stil "5 weeks" and a date 5 weeks in the future respectively. Grrr...

I then had to change the data protection to 20 days in the Internal Database - Sessions - session properties option.

I verified that all objects in the job's selections were set to the 20 day protection period, and the job's protection was at 20 days.

The question is, "What specific items need to be changed, in what specific order so that Data Protector can overwrite the tape without intervention after the protection period, in this case any time more than 20 days after the backup?".

My reading of the fine manual leaves me muddle-headed (obviously). Thanks for suggestions/help.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Now, online DP Help "Specifying data protection for *scheduled* backups", states that
"The data protection specified in the Schedule Backup dialog overrides all other data protection settings in the backup specification."

The job's data protection had been set to 5 weeks in the schedule option. AND it overrides everything else! So this is three places where data protection periods are set. My newby error or bad design - you decide.

Is the only way to modify an existing job's data protection, is to delete the entire schedule and re-modify it with new protection period? This makes it easy to introduce new errors when you manually modify exclusion dates ,etc. DP is not friendly.

I'm not inclined to make big changes 2 days before leaving for 2 weeks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.