Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DP 6.1 EADR Recovery Method Failure on Windows Server 2008 R2

Jump to solution
Hi All,

I am attempting to verify the process for using the Enhanced Automatic Disaster recovery Method in Data Protector 6.1 for recovering Windows Server 2008 R2 systems and have come across an error during the recovery phase that I am hoping someone can shed some light on.

Backgrounf:
Cell Manager is a Windows Server 2003 R2 server running DP 6.1

Target systems was a Windows Server 2008 R2 server and I suspect it was an x64 version of Windows but as the system has been made unbootable I am not able to confirm which exact platform it was.

I Installed the Windows AIK 1.1 Framework on the Cell manager as is required for creating DR OS images of Windows VISTA and 2008 servers.

Steps Performed:
1. Took a FULL backup of the server
2. Created the recovery.iso
3. Burned the recovery.iso to CD media
4. Configured the SYSTEM/NT Athority account to reference the target server in the Admins users group in DP.
5. Did some nasty stuff to the registry of the Target server to make it unbootable thus simulating an unrecoverable disaster on the server.
6. Logged-in to the iLO interface of the target server and connected me local CD drive.
6. Rebooted the target server from the recovery.iso on CD.
7. Specified the Default Recovery scope.

It was at this phase that the first line of output on the console showed a Warning message which I suspect is the cause of the failure when I then try to boot from the target server's hard drive.

Immeidtaley after the line saying "Starting Disaster Recovery" appears the following:

"Warning! w64 too large for w16!0000000000011876"

This is followed by what appears to be normal output for the MBR0.IMG and MINIOS.IMG files being written to the drive.

After the automatic reboot I allow the server to boot from its local hard drive not the CD but then see the following message:

"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

According to the Disaster recovery Support matrix Windows Server 2008 is supported for EADR although there is no mention of whether both the 32-bit and 64-bit platforms are supported.

Has anyone on this forum successfully performed an EADR recovery od a Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)system?

Does anyone understand what the initial warning message means during the first phase of the DR recovery process?

Points awarded to all considered replies.

Thanking you in advance,

Michael
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class
This is now supported via an SSP - SSPNT611_032.

Regards
Geoff Lowe

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Admiral
Admiral
your not the first to bump into this

R2 did something special with a boot partion
(as a UX boy the details are escaping me but are traceable even in this forum)

DP team is working on this and should be fully coveed with DP 6.2 I understood
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hello Michael,

Did you try upgrading to HP DP 6.11 ?
Recently we upgraded from 6.00 to 6.11, and did a successful Windows 2008 recovery test.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Siva
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hello Michael,

On HPDP 6.11, the prerequisites to perform successful recovery for windows 2008 are:-

1) WAIK 1.1 has to be installed on the Windows 2008 server (before disaster occurs, WAIK 1.1 should be installed there during daily backups)

2) WAIK 1.1 has to be installed on the server where you want to create the DR ISO image. In my case I use my windows Installation server as my GUI, so I had to install WAIK there.

3) AutoDR component must be installed on the Windows 2008 server (before disaster occurs, WAIK 1.1 should be installed there during daily backups)

4) AutoDR component must be installed on the server where you are using GUI (where you will create DR ISO image for that win 2008 server)

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Thanks,
Siva
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hello Luc and Sivarama.

Thank you for your replies.

Sivarama, we are using Data Protector 6.11. I inadvertently dropped the last digit of the version number in my original posting.

So if I understand correctly, WAIK needs to be installed on the Windows Server 2008 R2 system that you wish to be able to recover.

I wish the Disaster Recovery Guide had been more explicit in simply stating that WAIK needs to be installed on the system to be recovered instead of phrasing it as follows:

"To create an ISO CD image for a Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 system, the system on which you will create the image must have the Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) 1.1 installed."

I interpreted this to mean the Cell Manager especially since in the past when creating a recovery.iso image the procedure I used was to create this file to a temporary location on the C: drive of our Cell Manager.

Given our past process, the phrase "the system on which you will create the image..." simply does not make it clear that they are referring to the target system to be recovered.

This also raises the question of what to enter in the "Specify WAIK options" field when creating the ISO image.

Do I reference the \\target server\default WAIK installation directory\ or the default WAIK installation directory local to the Cell Manager where the ISO Image will be written to?

I can't help but think given what you have said about WAIK being required on every 2008 system that I would need to reference the WAIK folder on the target system.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

The other option, I guess is to simply leave the field blank and let Data Protector use whichever WAIK is needs given that the target system has been defined earlier in the EADR ISO wizard.

I will try again making sure to install WAIK on the target system and referencing that instance of WAIK when I create the recovery.iso image.

LUC, thank you for your reply. From what you are saying it sounds as though disaster recovery using EADR of a Windows Server 2008 R2 system is not fully supported by DP 6.11. This is most frustrating to learn.
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hello Michael,

Yes, there is no where given that WAIK needs to be there on the windows 2008 server.
HP Support asked me to install WAIK on the 2008 server as well. They said, HPDP's AutoDR component cant itself collect all the autodr information without WAIK, so I Installed there as well.

Now, you have to install the same on the machine where you will create the DR ISO image. While creating the ISO image, when you are asked to specify the WAIK options, you have to specify the WAIK directory of the machine, where you are creating the ISO image.

Also I want to let you know that I have done two tests, 1) with WAIK installed on the 2008 machine 2) after removing WAIK on 2008 machine. Both worked for me.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Siva

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
hi

EADR is not supported for windows server 2008 R2. (Should be available end of q2 2010)

regards
andre
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hi Sivarama,

1. I installed WAIK 1.1 on the Windows Server 2008 (R2) server that I want to be able to recover and ran another FULL backup.

2. I the recreated the EADR recovery.iso image using the Data Protector Client GUI on my workstation and specified a directory on my workstation's hard drive to write theis image to.

3. Then burned the fresh recovery.iso image to CD media.

4. Deleted some entries form the Registry of the target Windows Server 2008 (r2) system to make it unbootable.

5. Using iLO I rebooted the target Windows Server 2008 (R2) server and selected the Boot from CD option but once again the "Warning! w64 too large for w16!0000000000011876" appeared and again the NTLDR is missing error appeared when I tried to boot from the device's own hard drive.

Given the comments by Luc and now Andre I need to ask if your tests involved a Windows Server 2008 (R2) system as that is the platform I need to verify for our disaster recovery scenarios.

From what I am seeing, it looks like it simply doesn't work with (R2) yet.
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hi Micheal,

I had a case open with HP support regarding Disaster Recovery failure for a Windows2003 server. I asked them if Disaster Recovery is supported with Windows 2008 R2, they said not yet. Only Windows server 2008 (x64 / x86) based systems are supported with DP 6.11

I would suggest you open an HP support case for your confirmation.

Thanks,
Siva
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hello Michael,

Please check the below forum:-

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266563589263+28353475&threadId=1391790

It seems the forum author, Matthias has confirmed that EADR is not yet supported with Win2008R2.

Thanks,
Siva
0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
Hi All

Yes EADR FOR WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2 is NOT SUPPORTED with DP 6.11!!! It is not listed in the Disaster Recovery Support Matrix. I have also spoken to an support enginer some weeks ago and it should be relesaed by the end of Q2...

regards
0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class
This is now supported via an SSP - SSPNT611_032.

Regards
Geoff Lowe

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.