Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DP 6.1 EADR Recovery Method Failure on Windows Server 2008 R2

Jump to solution
Hi All,

I am attempting to verify the process for using the Enhanced Automatic Disaster recovery Method in Data Protector 6.1 for recovering Windows Server 2008 R2 systems and have come across an error during the recovery phase that I am hoping someone can shed some light on.

Backgrounf:
Cell Manager is a Windows Server 2003 R2 server running DP 6.1

Target systems was a Windows Server 2008 R2 server and I suspect it was an x64 version of Windows but as the system has been made unbootable I am not able to confirm which exact platform it was.

I Installed the Windows AIK 1.1 Framework on the Cell manager as is required for creating DR OS images of Windows VISTA and 2008 servers.

Steps Performed:
1. Took a FULL backup of the server
2. Created the recovery.iso
3. Burned the recovery.iso to CD media
4. Configured the SYSTEM/NT Athority account to reference the target server in the Admins users group in DP.
5. Did some nasty stuff to the registry of the Target server to make it unbootable thus simulating an unrecoverable disaster on the server.
6. Logged-in to the iLO interface of the target server and connected me local CD drive.
6. Rebooted the target server from the recovery.iso on CD.
7. Specified the Default Recovery scope.

It was at this phase that the first line of output on the console showed a Warning message which I suspect is the cause of the failure when I then try to boot from the target server's hard drive.

Immeidtaley after the line saying "Starting Disaster Recovery" appears the following:

"Warning! w64 too large for w16!0000000000011876"

This is followed by what appears to be normal output for the MBR0.IMG and MINIOS.IMG files being written to the drive.

After the automatic reboot I allow the server to boot from its local hard drive not the CD but then see the following message:

"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

According to the Disaster recovery Support matrix Windows Server 2008 is supported for EADR although there is no mention of whether both the 32-bit and 64-bit platforms are supported.

Has anyone on this forum successfully performed an EADR recovery od a Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)system?

Does anyone understand what the initial warning message means during the first phase of the DR recovery process?

Points awarded to all considered replies.

Thanking you in advance,

Michael
0 Likes
16 Replies
Absent Member..
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the update.

I've contacted our TAM to get a copy of this.

As a side note: anyone interested in this should also check-out Daniel Braun's walk-through of the EADR of a Windows 2008 R@ server at: http://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2011/01/eadr-mit-windows-2008-r2/

Regards,

Michael
0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class
Hello

Just spoken to an hp support engineer. This ssp is no longer available. They decided to implement eadr for 2008r2 with dp 6.20.

Regards
Andre
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
SSPNT611_032 is again available, brings support for EADR in Windows 2008 R2 in Data Protector 6.11. See Disaster recovery support matrix at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01631152/c01631152.pdf.
0 Likes
Absent Member..
Hi Anni,

The link you provided is no longer available.

Do you have another link or reference regarding the SSP?

Regards,

Michael
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.