Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Valued Contributor.. AlliedUser Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

DP 6.11 on HPUX fails

Hello TIm and others on the DP 6.11 software,

We are using DP 6.11 on HPUX and out DP is not working correctly. I opened a ticket with Micro Focus but they told me that it is not supported any longer. Can one of you DP gurus asssist us with getting our DP backups working again?  Our company will compensate you for  your service. 😉

-Peter G

gonzalp@alliedhpi.com

0 Likes
23 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DP 6.11 on HPUX fails

Hi @AlliedUser,

True, Data Protector A.06.11 is no longer supported since a long time. We can try to help you here in the forums at no charge or if you need urgent help you could also send me a private message so that we can take the discussion offline.

Regards,
Sebastian  Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Tim__Lawhead Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Peter,

I second Sebastian's comment.  Post the issue up here and hopefully someone will know the answer.

Personally, my experience with 6.11 is limited and HP-UX even more so.  The DBAs at my shop manage it for the most part, but I needed the installers to redeploy things after a rebuild of a physical server failed. 

If the forums don't provide a solution, for our really old HP-UX's, we get 3rd party hadware support by http://serviceitdirect.com/ and IIRC they have a software guy that knows the older DP builds really well.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

TIm,

DP reports that all the tapes in the StoreEver 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader are "Poor". HPE already replaced the Autoloader and told me that the issue is with DP.  As I searched around in the web it looks like the omni database is corupted. It looks like we need to somehow "fix" the omni database again I couldbe totaly wrong. Any help will be appreciated. Please let me know if you need more information for I'm not sure what additional info to post.

-Peter G

gonzalp@alliedhpi.com

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @AlliedUser,

Have you tried the following command to mark the tape Good in the IDB?

omnimm -reset_poor_medium <Medium>

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
jruffer Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Another thing you might have to consider is how old the tapes are.  In the properties of the Pool there is a condition tab.  If tapes are marked as poor because they are older than the Valid for (Months) then you can increase that number.

If you use a Free Pool you will need to make the change there.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @jruffer,

Running the omnimm command will also reset the initialization date so the tape will be Good regardless of the pool settings.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Sebastian,

# ./omnimm -reset_poor_medium 010142
Reset poor flag on medium 010142.

I then tried a DP scan and DP didn't recognize the media.

[Normal] From: MSM@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Drive1" Time: 3/19/2019 12:04:58 PM
Media session 2019/03/19-4 started.

[Normal] From: MMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Drive1" Time: 3/19/2019 12:04:58 PM
STARTING Media Agent "LTO2_Drive1"

[Warning] From: UMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Library" Time: 3/19/2019 12:15:04 PM
The device "LTO2_Library" could not be opened("Device could not be accessed")

[Normal] From: UMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Library" Time: 3/19/2019 12:15:04 PM
Starting the device path discovery process.

[Critical] From: UMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Library" Time: 3/19/2019 12:15:19 PM
[90:1004] Device address not found.

[Normal] From: UMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Library" Time: 3/19/2019 12:15:19 PM
Device path discovery process finished.

[Critical] From: UMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Library" Time: 3/19/2019 12:15:19 PM
[90:59] /dev/rac/c4t4d1
Cannot open exchanger control device (Device type mismatch)

[Normal] From: MMA@unidata.alliedhpi.com "LTO2_Drive1" Time: 3/19/2019 12:15:19 PM
ABORTED Media Agent "LTO2_Drive1"

============================================================================
0 media out of 1 successfully scanned.
============================================================================

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @AlliedUser,

The drive was changed so you need to select the Reload button in Devices & Media on LTO2_Library and try again. Use the dropdown on the Library and Drive properties and make sure there is a valid device path in it.

You can use devbra -dev to scan for library and tape devices and compare the output to the HP-UX ioscan -fun output. Installing new device files is done using infs -e. In any case use the right path to the library and drives is key.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Sebastian,

I do not see a Reload button anywhere in the Device & Media on LT02_Library, see attached image of DP.

-Peter G

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @AlliedUser,

You are close. See the following screen shots for the Library and a tape drive.

2019-03-19_19h04_34.png2019-03-19_19h05_21.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

jruffer, we are using brand new tapes as to eliminate aged tape possibility. Thanks for the heads up on that Valid Months flag.

-Peter G
0 Likes
Valued Contributor..

Sebastian, got it!

I clicked the Reload and Applied and the display changed to "Reload on next operation". I tried scanning again and DP didn't recongnize the tape again. Additionaly I didn't get a " Device Serial Number" it still says "Reload on next operation" after the scan operation. Is there another type of operation?  Attached is the current screen.

-Peter G

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @AlliedUser,

You need to update the device path (SCSI address) for the Library control path (Changer) and the drives in Data Protector to match the ones available in ioscan -fun.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

the issue, according to the error message:

[90:59] /dev/rac/c4t4d1
Cannot open exchanger control device (Device type mismatch)

is with the library robotics. As Sebastian already said you need to update the SCSI address /dev/rac/c4t4d1 with the correct one as DP is not able to the "exchanger control device " when using /dev/rac/c4t4d1

Kind regards,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.