Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DP 6.2 VMWARE GRE Restore File error "size -10 too large for metadata"

Hi all,

We are trying to configure the Data Protector VMWare Granulare Recovery Extension in our environment.

I have successfully managed to run a VMWare GRE integrated backup and requested a restore of that host to a location on the backup server which is also acting as a Mount Proxy.

The Mount Proxy path is on its own dedicated drive/partition presented to the backup server/mount proxy host.

Now, when I attempt to use the Recover Files option in my VCenter Client GUI I can see the disk object for the test Windows host that was restored but as soon as I highlight it to expose the partition(s) on it an error appears with the following message:

Object not found or access denied

Disk 'Z:/Restore/0003/DP-Test.vmdk' is missing or corrupted
     size -10 too large for metadat
     [name of vCenter Server]

When I look at the above restore path -which I note is using the  Unix "/" path notation rather than the Windows "\" notation- I can see three objects:

DP-Test.vmdk (1 KB)

DP-Test-flat.vmdk (41,943,040 KB)

scsi0-0.meta (1 KB)

Anyone else come across this erro or have any suggestions as to what to check/try?

Kind Regards,

Michael

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member..

Michael,

This is a defect with respect to having "-" character in the vmdk file name. It is being corrected in QCCR2A31846. You can call into support to get an immediate fix referencing this CR ID.

Regards,

-SFyffe
Absent Member..

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the infoirmation. I have requested the fix and will try it.

Thanks again,

Michael
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I updated the Patch QCCR2A31846. But it seems that it is not working...now I have another error.

Description:

I mounted the partition/disk over the GRE plugin successfully, but when I want to recover/browse the partition/disk over the GRE plugin I can not select the partition/disk. This field is greyed out ...But there should be the disk, which I have mounted successfully before...

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Tom,
Have you resolved the probolem? I have the same problem to you...
How did you request the Patch QCCR2A31846?
Thks
Fabio
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

Hello,

You need to call HP support.

However, this error was in DP 6.2, I don't have theses kind of error with DP 7.01...

Which DP version are you running ... ?

Regards,

Christophe
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.