Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Trusted Contributor.. Johnc_3 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

DP 7.03 and Exchange 2010

Hi, 

I'm testing the DP 2010 Exchange agent and whenever a backup or restore starts it seems to hang for about 5 minutes before starting to analyse the databases or backup/restore anything.  (It starts the e2010_bar.exe on the Exchange server immediately and this is obviously performing some task.)

Is this normal behaviour?

DP 7.03 on Win2008R2

All DP and Windows patches up to date.

Exchange 2010 SP3 (including update rollup 5)

Thanks in advance,

John

------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
0 Likes
2 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP 7.03 and Exchange 2010

It is hard to say if this behavior is 'Normal'.  As with all other Application backups, once teh OB2BAR process starts, the backup is taken over by the Exchange backup tool,  and DP is pretty much a bystander, except to supply theMedia and record any messages

If you see the time lag after the OB2BAR process starts,  I would suspect that tere is something going on with Exchange

0 Likes
André Beck
Visitor.

Re: DP 7.03 and Exchange 2010

Hi,

exactly same observations here, so it seems to be the way it is. I've explicitly made sure name resolution is instantaneous on all sides and in both directions (due to having GRE issues that might have been DNS related but weren't - the usual AD access rights shenanigans) and this didn't change the initial deep-thought phase of the backup. It simply seems that enumerating the stuff on the Exchange side of things takes a lot of time, even when you just expand the source tree of the backup spec. It's running and even performing well when it comes up to speed once, so I learned to live with it.

HTH,

Andre.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.