Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. sheng-ling.coad Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

DP 7, StoreOnce software and P2000

Hi, all,

We have a Windows 2008 R2 box, DP 7.0 Cell manager with StoreOnce Software installed on it and it is attached to 12 3TB disks P2000 dual contoller.

I have read some forums regarding StoreOnce software, but still a bit confused. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

The cell manager is the only box physically attached to P2000 and be the deduplicatin system . 

Do I set up 2 virtal disks, for the controllers load balance? Or just 1 virtual disks?

Thank you.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP 7, StoreOnce software and P2000

I believe that you should have one Virtual Disk, as I am not aware of any type of Load Balancing within StoreOnce

Also, you should upgrade to DP 7.01 by installing the patch bundle, and get to the latest patch version,  I have attached a document that shows where you can download the patch pundle and the Core Suite of patches.  Although is it not specifically mentioned, I recommend that you download and install DPWIN_00630, the SOS (StoreOnce Software patch)

Finally, please review the StoreOnce integration Guide

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1363269?searchIdentifier=5815f917%3a141c0cabf8b%3a-29d8&resultType=document&documentURL=KM1363269&resultsURL=%2fselfsolve%2fmanuals&allowReturn=true&searchString=&searchKey=2013-10-16+05%3a25%3a33

or, in the GUI, click Help -> Guides

You may get some good, practical information from teh forums, but you should also review the official documentation

0 Likes
Absent Member.. RodgerV Absent Member..
Absent Member..

By virtual disk do you mean StoreOnce Catalyst "store"?

At any rate, it is recommended not to have an Explicit Gateway Media Agent on the Cell Manager host. 

The Cell Manager host already experiences a heavy load from updating the DP Internal Database.

The Explicit Gateway Media Agent also puts a heavy load on the host and it is not advised to have both those components on the same host.

Please see:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03707627/c03707627.pdf

Technical white paper

HP StoreOnce Backup systems, G3 BBxxxA models

Best practices for VTL, NAS, StoreOnce Catalyst and Replication implementations

page 114

• The cell manager is on server ‘Zen’ and, following HP Data Protector best practice, this is a separate server. The cell manager creates a significant loading, which is not desirable on a media server.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. RodgerV Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I now believe your question about "virtual disk" refers to the disk array.
I cannot answer that question.
Perhaps another forum participant can make a suggestion.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.