Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
jayram Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP 8.0 Cell Manager recovery using HP Storeonce Catalyst (B6200)

Jump to solution

Hi,

We have a DR site and trying to recover DP Cell Manager from Production site to DR site using HP Storeonce Catalyst.

DR site has HP-UX Cell Server and B6200 device same as Production site.   IDB replication is configured using catalyst object copy.

Can some one guide me on how to recover the Cell Manager in DR site assuming the Production Cell Manager is lost.

(Specifically how to restore the IDB from the target B6200 device and import the catalogs).

DP Version is 8.0

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jayram Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP 8.0 Cell Manager recovery using HP Storeonce Catalyst (B6200)

Jump to solution

Thanks a ton.... Bob.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I cannot stress enough that you should NOT be backing up the IDB to a StoreOnce device.  In my opinion, it will be close to impossible to even get back the files backed up.  If you have a Tape drive, even a Stand-alone drive or a small tape library, you should be using that.  Alternatively, you could use a VTL (Virtual Tape Library), but you always need to know on what media the backup of the IDB exists

I have sent along a document on how to restore IDB for LINUX< but, being a UNIX-based system, HPUX procedure is not going to be different

jayram Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Bob,

Appreciate your immediate response and thanks for the detailed steps on Cell Manager recovery.

Could you please clarify the following from lay man perspective.

A. Regarding Step 1, could you please let me know where I can get "QCIM2A51058_TM1" fix as  I googled and don't see any information about this fix.

1-      Install the fix from QCIM2A51058_TM1 to be able to restore on a NEW CM.

B. Is there any requirement to change the IP addresses of the new Cell server to match the old cell server.

Bcas we will be restoring the IDB from Production site to DR site.

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

QCIM2A51058_TM1 is a test module.  It addressed this problem:

Restore is not available. There is no backups found after the last restore (or at all) and time of restore is after the time of the last restore

Test Modules will eventually be incorporated into a General Release patch.  Sometimes, they make an intermediate step into what is called a Site-Specific Patch.  I checked thos for DP 8.1, and saw no sign of this problem being addressed

Then, I check for 8.11 update patches, and,. to my surprise, I found there is a 8.12 patch bundle available.  I looked at the patch description, and did not see any sign of this being addressed, but, fixes do not always make it into the patch description

I suggest that you download the 8.12 patch bundle from

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/patches

You will need HP Passport to do this.  Get the patch bundle installed on your Cell manager (also on your Installation server if it is not the same).  When you are ready to do a DR test, follow the instructions I sent, and if you get the error 

"Restore is not available. There is no backups found after the last restore (or at all) and time of restore is after the time of the last restore", then this fix has not made it into the patch.  Open a case with the REsponse Center, make sure that you include your OS-type and version for your Cell Manager, and refer to QCCR2A49713

--------------------

" Is there any requirement to change the IP addresses of the new Cell server to match the old cell server."

I assume that you are only going to be doing DR test on your cell manager, and not on and clients.

Your biggest problem is going to be with Licensing.  Licenses are based on the IP address of your cell maanger.  If it is different than at your production site, the licenses won't work.

If you can't use the same IP address as your cell manager, on the 2nd slide of the set included in the document I sent, in the section 'Restore Configuration files', expand /etc and expand

opt -> Omni -> Config -> Server -> Cell

You will see a list of files.  Uncheck 'lic.dat'

After installing DP on your DR system, stop DP and Copy the 'lic.dat' fil to a safe location.  (A fresh installation of DP will give you 60-days of temporary licensing)  When you have restored the Configuration files to an alternate location, put the saved 'lic.dat' file back into place.

Now, having said all of this, I can't say for sure if this will work because restoring a 8.x IDB is something we are still getting a handle on.  I know that this procedure would work for DP 7 and lower 

You may also need to change the owner of the IDB, and teh hostname for your devices.

If you can, the much easier approach would be to use the same hostname and IP address as the Production server

0 Likes
jayram Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks a ton.... Bob.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.